Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

don't want to become a bleu cheese snob

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
but I have always loved bleu cheese, but of late I crave it! Hopefully that's not some medical deficiency tip off! While I THINK I'm happy with what I buy are there some brands that a purist (within reasonable restrictions!!!) might want to seek out? Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

Gorgonzola, Stilton, Daniish blue, roquefort. My favourite is Fourme d'Ambert. It is an expensve habit and the cheese has to be paired with a good quality wine or port. Like wine the cheeses vary with age.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Ya'll got me DROOLING!!!I Love some Blue Cheese!I think gargonzola is a little milder.I like Maytag and MANY others!You're eggzactly right Steven,Eggspensive hobby!But then again,What ain't????? :whistle:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hoss,

Trust me on this. Sometime you need to do a prime rib, just rubbed with salt and pepper with mashed potatoes, fresh peas, Yorkskshire pudding and jus. Buy a really good Warres or Taylor Fladgate port and serve after dinner with old Stilton and grapes and a Cuban cigar. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    I adore roquefort, particularly Papillion and Societe.

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • kip stabone
    Options
    Try Valdeon, you will not be disappointed. We get ours at whole foods and put it on lots of stuff but my favorite is mussels with a broth of white wine, shallots, red peppers, pancetta, and Valdeon. It is our go to appetizer on the egg.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    RRP...See if you can't get your hands on some Point Reyes Blue....super creamy, super rich.....(and amazing with a slice of pear!) :whistle: Oh great...cheese shop here I come... :laugh:
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    Ron: Maytag is my favorite, made in Iowa.
    Check out thier website there is some neat history of the brand. Started by the son of the appliance Maytag's.
    There is plenty of imported thats great, next time your in Chicago try to go to Fox and Obel market on Illinois st. near Navy Pier.
    Best meat, cheese, or any food product availble on earth is on thier shelves.

http://www.maytagdairyfarms.com/aspx/welcome.aspx
  • Hoss
    Options
    :evil: NOW you're KILLIN ME!!!! :evil: B) I think I just got another MUST DO cook added to the evergrowing list! B)
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    oh.... please ..... try the "maytag" brand of bleu cheese.... i may be a neophyte... but it's my favorite! do a search... i buy mine at " sam's club" .... it sells out quickly! .. i just order direct from the factory.... rr
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    Blackend burger, lots of corriander with Maytag blue cheese on a garlic bread hard roll. MMMMMMMMM!!!!
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    And mix 25% of ground lamb with 75% of 83% lean ground beef
  • Hoss
    Options
    Or BACON! ;) :laugh:
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Maytag is my fave for blue that is easy to get in Peoria.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Luckily, I have a store nearby that carries lots of cheeses from around the world. My favorite blue...spelled that way in the U.K. ..is Shropshire blue by Neals Yard. Google Neals Yard. Great stuff.

shropshireblue.jpg
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    My husband [the fussy eater] never would have touched blue cheese until he had a blue cheese crusted filet at a banquet. Now a couple of our local stores carry blue cheese hamburgers and he loves them.
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Little Steven could you recommend a good brand of port?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    what you need to do is some taste testing. i like these but they are at the higher end of my budget and i stick with tawney porto, not sure but i think little steven likes the vintage style ports, more fruity and vibrant but pricey. the buety of port is that its fortified with brandy and after opening a tawny or regular porto you can drink just a little from the bottle for weeks before it goes bad so you can have several open at a time. been starting with a two finger sifter of something good, then a sifter or two of something cheaper in the ten dollar range, im fond of sandeman and love the 20 year old but its too pricey for me, these ather two are good too, the warres otima has a little after burn but is very good, the fladgate has more of a fruity taste, but still good. get a good bottle of tawny and regular port and see which direction you like best

these are good

DSC_0159-1.jpg

some testing :laugh:

DSC_0161-1-1.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i think i like all the blue cheeses :laugh: something ive noticed is different packages change the cheese. cabot sharp in the supermarket is plastic wrapped, almost rubberry, sometimes they package in waxed paper on the shelves, much better texture and flavor, the old country store near me sells chips from the big old wheel under the glass top, flavor of that is outstanding... all these are the same cheese ;) swiss to me is never my chouce, i cant taste anything from it, maybe its because i like and expect the stronger flavors
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Good morning Ron...I love blue cheese also.This is a dressing I make all of the time.
    Larry

Maytag Blue Cheese Dressing
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
    1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    5 ounces Maytag blue cheese
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1. Combine all the ingredients except for the cheese in a bowl and whisk them until smooth. Crumble in the blue cheese and mix together gently if you like clumps of cheeses in your dressing, or more aggressively if you like it smoother. If you like really smooth dressing, do in the blender. 2. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Options
    I discovered Maytag blue cheese through a TV chef quite a few years ago. It was rarely available locally back then so I ordered from the source. It was my absolute favorite Blue Cheese. Now it’s almost always available locally at the better stores but I’ve had several bad experiences with it. Either it didn’t taste very good or it had little taste at all. I was very disappointed especially since it is not cheap. I wonder if it is a shipping/storage problem. Maybe I need to order from the source again.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I was with you right up until the cigar, YUK!! -RP
  • ebrooker007
    ebrooker007 Posts: 156
    Options
    Other good excuse to use blue cheese is for cole slaw. It is something that is really easy to make and everyone always raves about it. I either buy slaw in a bag or cut up
    my own cabbage depending on how much time I have. Then I mix marzettis slaw dressing from the no preservative isle. Lastly I mix some crumbled blue cheese to taste. This recipe goes really well with pulled pork. I know several people that would not eat slaw but wanted the recipe after trying it.
  • hornhonk
    Options
    That slaw is something I'll have to try. :P
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i got a whole wheel of matag, at resaurant depot, at christmas. it was very good but too much for just me.. great way to make friends. ;)
    my favorite is saga [which is basically brie cheese with blue veins and probably not a true bleu] i think it is 105% butterfat. :laugh:
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    any of you guys ever try to pair cheese with beer?
  • hornhonk
    Options
    No, I haven't. I wouldn't have a clue, but I'd like to learn.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    hornhonk wrote:
    No, I haven't. I wouldn't have a clue, but I'd like to learn.

beer pairs fantastically with cheese (many would argue better than wine).

this is a really good book about beer pairing....

http://www.amazon.com/Brewmasters-Table-Discovering-Pleasures-Real/dp/0060005718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270583829&sr=8-1
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Maytag and Point Reyes - 'nuff said...
  • hornhonk
    Options
    I bought this today.

100_0971.jpg

bluecheese2.jpg

Very nice and smooth. Some of it will go on my burgers tonight.