Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg...whats first?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought an egg based on the rave reviews I've been reading on the web. I'm looking forward to my first meal when it arrives. I I'm a red meat guy but also like chicken and some fish. I'm looking for any recommendations on what the first meal should be based on everyone's past experience. In other words, what recipe really tastes great based on the way this egg cooks as compared to traditional grilling? Oh yeah, since it'll be the first meal, it should be tough to screw up. Thanks.

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    beereggs, congratulations on your wise decision to buy the BGE - you will have many years of fun & great tasting food.
    If i were you, i'd make chicken: cut up into portions ie legs, thighs, wings, breast..
    season with some Lowery's season salt & grill @ 300F (directly), turning every 10min till golden brown & juices run clear. Then baste with your favorite BBQ sauce for 10 min, turning after 5min.[p]for a quicky, make some sausages @ same temp till done
    ( best are: italian, bratwurst or even Nathan's or hebrew national beef franks)[p]enjoy

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    beereggs,[p]My first cook, from advise obtained here, was pork tenderloins and they were amazing. Great taste, they take marinades or rubs and smoke if desired well, unbelievably juicy, and very easy to do. If you decide to do theses remember that pork doesn't need to be cooked into leather any more. You can take them to 140° or so and they will be great. Overall a very easy and tasty meal.[p]Chuck

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    beereggs,[p]Great nickname! I seem to remember eating something like Beer Eggs while in college (we were crazy back then)![p]Really, I think you'll be happy with anything on your first cook, but I would do something simple (like Chef Arnoldi said). Last night we has some Asian Flank Steak. I marinaded it for a few hours, then cooked it for about 7 minutes per side at 350-400 degrees. The results were great and it was stupidly simple[p]smokey.gif

[ul][li]Asian Flank Steak [/ul]
  • captaincraigb
    Options
    beereggs,
    Spatchcock chicken http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm and TREX http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm steaks are hard to beat! but anything turns out pretty good. We got our first egg in December, second at the EGGFEST. might be thinking about a third! happy beeregg cooking to ya

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    beereggs,[p]Congratulations on your imminent addiction! You're gonna love the Egg![p]Could be just what I'm hungry for, but I'd say burgers, esp. with the rolls toasted on the grill.[p]Yum![p]Ken
  • Roundman
    Roundman Posts: 43
    Options
    beereggs,
    I would make spatchcock chicken or burgers both are easy and taste great.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    beereggs,[p]Great nickname! I seem to remember eating something like Beer Eggs while in college (we were crazy back then)![p]Really, I think you'll be happy with anything on your first cook, but I would do something simple (like Chef Arnoldi said). Last night we has some Asian Flank Steak. I marinaded it for a few hours, then cooked it for about 7 minutes per side at 350-400 degrees. The results were great and it was stupidly simple[p]smokey.gif

[ul][li]Asian Flank Steak [/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Thanks for the tip.