Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today Show Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just watched the Today show blurb and the consensus is in– we have to stop grilling our steaks on the Egg, it is only a smoker (first Money magazine now the Today show).[p]Where did all this “not a grill” nonsense come from?!? Their expert didn’t say anything necessarily bad about the Egg, but she did dismiss it as a tool for grilling. Even the “experts” at our local BBQ Galore store seem woefully undereducated about the capabilities of a ceramic grill. [p]I have a wonderfully capable 100,000+ btu gas grill in my outdoor kitchen that I can push past 800 degrees --- I cook my steaks on the egg. No disrespect to the Today shows pundit, but a CIA trained chef is not necessarily an expert on outdoor cooking. ings.[p]
Pivot

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    pivotizer,
    The reason Today and Money both say the same thing is that it is the same woman doing both.[p]BBQs Galore personnel (at least many of them) have demonstrated a woeful lack of knowledge about anything that isn't a $4000 stainless steel behemoth. It is fun to go to the local store and hang out near the Eggs to listen....[p]
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]I didn't realize it was the same person.[p]I loved the part when she stated "... a bag of charcoal will last you all summer..."[p]I can only think that I must be doing something wrong; I go through a lot more lump than that.[p]She must get most of her information from “reading the manuals” (the F is silent).

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    pivotizer,[p]Buy an extra bag of lump next time and set it aside in May. Go get it in September and you can say it lasted all summer. Simple marketing hype. Get another and pull it out next year and - you guessed it. It lasted you all year!! [p]Tim
  • Tim M,[p]By your definition, I have a small bag of Kingsford that has lasted at least 5 years.[p]These ceramics really are amazing.

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    pivotizer,
    I didn't watch the show...but afterall the BGE slogan is "The World's Best Smoker"
    When I first saw a BGE several years before really looking into them, I figgered it was a just a "smoker"
    Methinks BGE might want to work on their marketing a little.
    Just MHO

• BucsFanJim,
    actually, if you look at the home page and the current product brochure, it says "worlds best smoker and grill" . . .

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    pivotizer,[p]That Egg shall now and forever be known as Katie. I will order a Lawn Ranger handle for her and she may join my stable.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    drbbq,[p]Congratulations on the new arrival! Katie and Lisa Marie should do just fine together...hee, hee![p]Tonia
    :~)

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Tim M,[p]I won this BBQ / Garden kit of stuff from lowe's a couple of weeks ago. It had a really neat Garden wagon with big wheels, and some lawn chairs that will be very useful. It also came with a table top aluminum grill, a bag of Match Light charcoal (and oddly enough lighter fluid). I'm wondering how long those Match Light charcoal briquettes will last me.[p]
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    James,
    They'd last me a lifetime. And the lighter fluid would just turn into toxic waste, because what would you do with the stuff? It sure ain't going anywhere near my grill![p]Mike in MN

• usa doug
    usa doug Posts: 96
    drbbq,
    I watched the Today Show this morning. During the BGE presentation there was a lot of noise in the background.
    Was that you trying to get on stage?[p]usa doug:))

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    usa doug,
    No, it was them fighting over my BBQ sauce.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • drbbq,[p]How would someone go about getting some of that BBQ sauce?

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    They should have an overall category for these grills. [p]Someone who see's that a BGE is great for smoking but nothing else loses out when he goes out to buy what he thinks is the best for grilling! [p]Sure, you might have a great grill for searing steaks but what else is it great at? As we know, the BGE is Da Best overall grill across the board!

• Bama Egger
    Bama Egger Posts: 137
    pivotizer,[p]And people say thatKatie and her freinds at the Totady Show are not BIASED!
  • Bama Egger
    Bama Egger Posts: 137
    Sorry about the por typing.........I'm a bit upset....lol