Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Storage

2»

Comments

• probie
    probie Posts: 102
    Yes I would like to get that inforamtion on the fresh garlic as soon as the ground traws enough i'm getting the garden up and going
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    im going to try some just refridgerated pickled like this, the stuff ive bought was crisp and the garlic itself had a little heat to it.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Relish/Easy-Refrigerator-Pickled-Garlic.aspx
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I too would appreciate the information.

Kent
  • be careful about garlic in oil. storing at room temp is a very bad idea, but even refrigerated as you do it, botulism is a risk

in theory, cold temps should retard any bacterial growth, but long term storage of garlic in oil, even refrigerated, is generally frowned upon. in oil, it's a low-acid, low oxygen environment that is perfect for botulism. again, correct temps can slow the growth considerably. but if you aren't inclined to leave meat in a fridge for months, you shouldn't do the same for garlic in oil.

commercially available garlic is (or should be) treated with anti-microbials or acids. that's generally not something a home user would do...
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Some have asked about growing Garlic!
    Growing garlic is easy to grow.It's best to plant in fall but you can plant in early spring.I like "Music" variety best.Garlic comes in soft neck ( if you want to braid it) and stiff neck.Music has large cloves and easy peel skins, nice heat and is very cold tolerant and good producer.
    I get mine from www.territorialseed.com or www.johnnysseeds.com or if you just want to plant a few cloves you can go to the market and buy organic garlic But seed garlic from a dealer is best and better deal.
    Plant in soil that has had compost added and is rich and loose.
    Plant early October in cold areas..Separate cloves and plant 2" deep with point facing up 4" apart in rows 6' apart. I mulch with pine needles 3-4" deep but leaves work great. Plant in spring as soon as you can work the soil.Don't worry if they start to sprout before winter..Spring planted garlic will not be as big as fall planted.
    When the curly seed heads often called "scapes"start to grow cut them back .You can freeze them and save for soups and stews.
    Garlic will be ready to harvest when 60% the leaves turn brown and the stalks start to fall over.
    Do not wash bulbs.Brush off excess dirt and hang and store in a shaded ,well ventalated area for up to 2 weeks.Like a garage. When all the stalks have turned brown you can braid them or hang them up in a cool place for storage.
  • speaking of garlic, got an email for this today :laugh:

http://www.garlicfestival.com
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i'd like to know more about growing garlic..... my friend suggests that i grow"german white".... he only plants a small patch...and is very"frugal" with the results.... hence my interest.... thanks! ray you can email me direct....
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    ok.... thanks! cancel my ping.... i appreciate the info and your time.... ray
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    DOW,
    That festival is crazy fun.Garlic ice cream to anything you can think of.Great fun!The whole town smells like garlic during the festival..And so will you! Which isn't a bad thing! :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ron, I just buy a few heads and store in a loose-lidded ceramic container on my countertop.It only holds about 3 heads. I remove as many cloves as I need for a particular meal and process as needed. The rest of the head goes back in the container. I rarely throw any away and they seem to last quite a while. If the cloves do develop brown spots or green shoots, well that's what knives are for. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I have driven through Gilroy California a few times where the Garlic Festival is held and you can smell the garlic for miles! Acres and acres of garlic growing, as well as artichokes and mushrooms nearby.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I freeze my extra ginger. Holds fine!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE