Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket- Do Not Use

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past many people have posted that they have been replacing our gasket kit with Rutland Gasket. Today, after we were asked if we would recomend this we contacted Rutland. Rutland gasket replied that they would NOT use any fiberglass gasket around food. As the dome is opened and closed small pieces of gasket may break off and get in the food. Again this comes straight from Rutland, do not use Rutland gasket with any grill or anywhere around food.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy John. Was good to meet you in Maryland. [p]WooDoggies called Rutland and was told the same thing a couple months ago. I stil lhave one installed on one of my eggs, and I keep forgetting to order new BGE gasket material! Since I learned this I have been real careful not to let the food hit it, or to disturb it in any way. I know I need fiber in my diet, but not that kind! [p]Beers to you John. Nice to see some BGE folks posting here from time to time!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    John Creel - Big Green Egg Director of Customer Service,[p]I have it on the outhouse hole...man that stuff gets cold in the winter..but no more updraft..truth be tol us menfolks is missin that tiny draft somethin awful...some things was made for tiny breezes I'll tell you that..but we did it for momma though ...on accounta on real windy days she was whistlin like you read about...I was startin to think momma mus be hollow..so I watched her for a while..and sure nuff..every once in a while..I seen her tryin to fill herself up with some kinda cotton thing...but mommas no dummy..she knows that when she does that fillin in..it'll make her look all big and bloated and what not..so she leaves a little string there..prolly so that if'n she thinks she's gettin to look too big..she can get some of that stuffin outta there..and look all better..maybe for some special occasion or somethin. When I get old like momma..I sure hope I'm as smart as her when I start to hollow out.[p]
    I gotta tell you though..evah since we installed that gasket there..we just gotta be the folks what nobody wants to shake hands with..on accounta we is itchy as all get out..and not in a good place neither..I'll tell you something too..worst thing I evah seen is Beulah scratch herself so fast like that..poppa said she was gonna start a brush fire..he sure did laugh at that..but nobody but him and grampa even unnerstood the joke..shoot..we wasn't even outside...I told poppa I spose he was thinkin she might catch herself on fire from the friction..and then get all crazy and run out back setting things on fire..but that ain't funny..and if'n that's the case...why wouldn't he say she might set her back door on fire..that'd be worse then the bushes..I'll tell you that..bushes is nice and all...and makes good cover for ugly things..but try doin without a back door..then all sorts of weird things could go in and out..and we'd prolly all suffer if we seen that happen...poppa..he just laughed and laughed at that..but when he came too..he said what matters is where she was doin the itchin..then he just started laughin all over again..sometimes I just don't know how poppa made it all the way to the forth grayd. [p]
    I wouldn't put that gasket on the egg tho..on accounta how itchy you get..most specially if'n you cook for other folks..I mean.. leanin over and scratchin a kin folks food is one thing...but doin somethin like that to a stranger is somethin else..make folks lose their appetite for sure. Now if'n your plan is to have people over for good company..but you don't wanna feed them..then I'd go ahead and put that gasket on your egg and have yourself a big ol foot stompin food scratchin party.[p]StumpBaby

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    LOL - reminds me of a bricklayer I once worked with ...[p]He said he liked to use cement sacks to wipe with cause he could wipe and powder at the same time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    John Creel - Big Green Egg Director of Customer Service,
    I have a Rutland kit that I haven't installed yet on my Medium egg. In truth the Rutland is likely troubled, but frankly so is the delivered Felt Gasket solution.[p]I was lucky an mine initially lasted two years of very light use and then went. While I have a new felt gasket I have had no desire to install it given the consistent reports and apparent high fail rate of the delivered (Felt) solution.[p]When is BGE going to address the problem and deliver an adequate, lasting, resilient gasket?

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Welcome back, hon.
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Thanks Molly.[p]I think I finally am back..sheesh..that was a long one.[p]How's Polly? I sure do miss her..but from all the pictures it sure looks like she's havin a good time.[p]StumpBaby Sheepless in Peterborough
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    John, has anyone at BGE looked into the woven ceramic gaskets? They look like viable options, but I don't know about the food safety factor.[p]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]She's VERY happy. Has taken to sleeping in the piggy bed in my son's room (used to be a dog bed, but the pig likes to sleep in there during storms). She gets lots of love and attention and her thighs have filled out nicely! Even the UPS guy admired her thighs the other day and you know how THEY are.[p]Polly sends her love.[p]mShark
  • WilliamH
    WilliamH Posts: 57
    Options
    BamaBob,
    Silica is another possible option. I bought some silica rope seal that is good for 2000 degrees. (Haven't tried it yet.) I've looked for health issues but haven't found anything. Although in crystal form it is a problem in products like brick and concrete.[p]Rutland said their gasket is good for 1000 degrees. BGE says it is the glue that is good to 1000. Either way it would be nice to have a little more breathing room.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Thanks for the info John....My felt gasket on my large egg is seven years old and still in good shape.
    Larry

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Agreed YB, mine is 5 years and working like new.[p]Thanks for the official word, John.[p]PBR's,
    John

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    I have a rutland gasket installed on my egg that has been problematic ever since I installed it.
    First problem is it didnot stop my smoke leaks
    second problem the glue let go in about a month
    I re-cemented and put the gasket back on and the glu lasted a couple more monts and let go again
    And now I notice that the gasket sheds any time you touch it and is is very brittle.So with this new news I shall shed the rutland and go back to the sorry bge oem stuff.
    The felt fails every time I take the egg up to cleanin temps
    And I mean every time. Clean the egg and replace the gasket what a pain.
    see ya
    Glenn

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    John Creel - Big Green Egg Director of Customer Service,[p]We replaced the felt on our small when we upgraded to the spring hinge. We tried the Rutland, but were very unhappy with it (and later learned of the health risks). [p]The BGE felt is so easy to work with there's really no reason to go with anything else. I kind of think of it like a garden hose gasket. Every now and then it gets replaced at a very minimal cost...[p]Thanks for letting the forum community know about this important health issue.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• grill'nMike
    Options
    YB,[p]I have been using my BGE for about 9 years now. To this date I have replaced my gasket a total of three times. I do everything from smoking to searing on it. The only time my gasket has failed was shortly after I bought it and let it run wide open for about 20 minutes. I have never seen any need to cook at or around 1000 degrees and temps of 600 to 700 degrees have been more than enough for cleaning purposes as well as searing.[p]Mike
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    If that's the case, then the problem is your band, not the gasket. I take my large up to 800°+ at least once a week and my original gasket is still intact seven years later. One of my large competition Eggs came with the Chinese band and the gasket started to burn on that one after only a few uses. I got an American made band and replaced it and haven't had any problems since. Even though I haven't had any gasket problems other than that, I'm still considering ordering a roll of the ceramic tape recommended by Chef Arnoldi. Looks like great stuff.[p]Jim
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Glenn,[p]If you're burning off your felt gaskets with that kind of frequency then it sounds like you're having an alignment problem with the band... or the dome isn't seating properly with the base...... somewhere along the line the hot gasses are escaping through the felt sandwich and frying the felt..... so something is definitely wrong.
    Is it burning out in the same spot every time?[p]Mr. earl was also having gasket problems. So we took the dome off his egg, completely cleaned off the old gasket from the surface of the egg, set the dome on his smooth concrete garage floor and quickly found the dome was warped.
    Instead of the dome sitting fully flush on the floor, as it should have, there was a slight rocking motion..... and the two areas that weren't making contact with the floor corresponded with the areas where the felt was frying..... where the gases were escaping.[p]Hillard practiced his right as a consumer owning a product with a lifetime guarantee and asked for a replacement.
    John from BGE gave him a new dome without hesitation and the problem was solved. [p]If your egg is sealing properly then your gasket should last a very long time. [p]For the time being or until we get to the bottom of why your felt is failing, I would suggest not taking your egg to cleaning temps. Your egg will work fine without it and it may keep you from having to replace your gasket altogether.[p]Having worked with fiberglass gaskets for over a decade on wood stoves, I have seen firsthand how friable they can be and how they do eventually break down over time..... and there is no way I'd have one anywhere near my food....... and before anyone replies saying they don't buy into the fiberglass issue, I say look at fiberglass fibers through a microscope..... and cook with want you want but please don't cook for me! [p]Glenn, let us know how we can help.... we want you to be a happy egger. :~)[p]John[p][p]

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Sorry if I sounded negitive, I love my egg and wouldnt trade it for anything. I egg at least 3 nights a week and every weekend. And I think I do have a fit problem as there is a gap in 2 places when the lid sits on a flat surface
    I was told by someone to grind the high spots down but I realy didnt want to chance making things worse.
    If you think that the lid may be covered under waranty I will try my luck with a replacement and just order some more felt, although my dealer charges 20 bucks for it and I think that makes it quite over priced for what it is.
    Thank you so much for the help and education.
    Glenn

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Glenn,[p]Yes, your lid is covered under the warranty. If the lid is gapped in a couple places then it will always be a problem..... and if you grind or alter the lid then you will void the warranty.[p]Give your dealer a call and see if he'll swap out a good dome for your gapped dome or if he'll include a new dome with his next shipment from bge..... either way he should take care of you and not charge you for replacing a warranted product that he sold you.[p]You can always call John at bge. He's a man of action and a man of his word...... a true bge asset and he will set things right.[p]Stick around and post some recipes, or better yet, post some photos of your cooks. :~)[p]Good Luck!
    John[p] [p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Glenn,
    if you paid 20 bucks for bge replacement gasket, you got hosed. . .i paid about $8 bucks, ordered direct from bge. . .i actually ordered two kits, just so i'd have a spare laying around, and i think with shipping, it totalled $20 or $21. . .[p]but i agree with woodoggies, if your dome is warped,either get your retailer to replace it under warranty, or, if you don't get satisfaction from him, call bge direct. . .at worst you'll have to pay for shipping. . .

• Unknown
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]I'm just curious. Was this an attempt a humor? I'm not really certain what your point was?
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Bill,[p]With the Stumpbaby, you can never tell. :)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bill,
    Yes, that was humor. Get it yet?
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    NB:[p]I must be as dumb as a Log . . . I had to read the book before I got it . . . (smilie thingie)
    [/b]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Gotta read it real sloooow. hehehe
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Chris, this is not "news". Some of us have been saying this for over 2 years now. Hello - anyone listening out there. [p]Sounds of crickets in the distance....................[p]
    Tim