Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo 3, spider and extra grate

Options
Big Thunder
Big Thunder Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to the egg, but have about six cooks on it (just over a week :laugh: ). I even have a low and slow completed and I'm awaiting my first overnighter this weekend.

I've read that some use the spider to sear and the Woo 2/3 to raise the cooking surface. I'm looking at making a purchase here and was wanting your opinion. Will I actually get use from these accessories? Do they turn into a must haves vs. good to haves once my cooking repertoire increases? Thanks for your opinion.

Comments

• Memphistide
    Options
    I would use two firebricks or the Naked Whiz deal instead of spending that money to raise it.....see below

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#raisedgrid
  • BayouMark
    Options
    A lot of it is a matter of what you are comfortable with. I have a spider that I use for WOK cooking and with a pizza stone with my adjustable rig. The Woo will hold a Wok and will put the grate at the felt line. My best advice would be to go to
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/
    and look around in there to see how their products fit your cooking style and goals. To me me, the Woo was limiting but others may believe that is exactly what they need. Hope this helps ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Money well spent. They are quality products that will last a long time. I would say a raised cooking system of some kind is as close to a must have as you can get. A fire is just about the only must have but Tom's products are spot on great to have.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i prefer the rig over the woo, its higher which gets the food closer to the radiant hear of the dome and a little further from the fire, it is also convienient sometimes to just lift the whole rig out of the egg with the food still on it. i did do the fire brick thing for years and its doable, alot of options with the firebrick splits and i still use those at times even with the rig. toms number is on that site, its there so that you can call him and discuss whats right for you
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have a woo3, and plan to get the spider and AR as well. I got the woo3 a few weeks ago, and have used it on every cook since. I never went the route of making my own raised grid (fire bricks, long bolts on fire ring, etc.), but I am sure they all would work just as good, I bought it for the possibility of a wok (and it was cheaper than the AR/Spider combo, which I am sure I will buy down the road).

I really like how the cooking changes by raising the cooking surface up 4-5 inches. I also have been using a lot less lump, only filling about half of the fire box. This has put my food really far from the fire (compared to how it was), and I have been having more success this way. I hope this helps, I think whatever item you build/purchase will be good. Consider the ajustable rig from the ceramic grill store, there are a lot of options with that setup.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    lot's of ways to raise the grid or go indirect: nuts/bolts, raised rings, ceramics, bricks and formed bar stock. It really comes down to how much, how often, how involved and how convenient you want your cooks to be.
    I’m the guy how makes the woo and spider pieces. For me the big “how” point is convenience. For example:

1. How convenient is it to get to the lump. I bury wood chunks in the lump when loading the lump but also like to add a chunk on the fire when adding the meat and during the cook. So for me, I need a convenient way to access the lump during the cook.

2. How convenient is it to make a change during a cook. I sear low and finish high, so I need a method that allows me close access to the lump but provides shelf space above the felt line. Same with ribs, a set-up that allows me lay ribs flat as I foil during the 3-1-1 method.

3. When I grill, I need to be able to grill at different heights or temps. For example, I like my hamburgers with a crusty exterior but with brats, searing will split the casing, so they need to be farther away from the heat than the burgers. I do burgers and brats together a lot.

4. On low and slow cooks, I prefer to match the set-up to the type of meat I’m cooking. Big cook (multiple butts) big pan and ceramic stone. Small cook (one butt), then small pan and stone. I believe this provides the best coverage and consistent temps across the grid.

5. I like the convenience where set-up pieces do multiple tasks. This way, less to store, less to buy and less to hassle with during a cook.

6. I don’t like having to find a place to keep stuff or having to replace stuff annually. I bought the egg as I was tired of buying $400 gas grills every couple years because the paint flaked, the cast burners rusted out or the big pain, running out of gas during a cook. I keep most of my raised cooking pieces in the egg. For example, the spider just sits in the fire ring even if not used during a cook. I make the stuff from stainless so it has the best chance to last a long time.

These are just a couple points that I consider when using set-up methods. Other folks have their ‘hit list’. If you want to talk about, my number is on the woo/spider website. Feel free to call.

Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • ThunderBunny
    Options
    Jabbins, when you say you really like how the cooking changes when you raise the grid a few inches, what do you mean?
    I'm about to spring for the AR and am going into this a little perplexed about what to expect.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Well, I have the woo3, but I assume the AR is similar in its raising capabilities. The risk of burning your food decreases at a higher level. I think chicken is great on the raised grid. Nice crispy skin, without burning it to get it that way.
  • bob in st lou
    Options
    I had the fire ring crack and break in two pieces after several hundred cooks on the egg. My dealer took a picture and sent it to BGE and I got a new fire ring free. However I kept the broken one and use it on top of the new fire ring to raise the cooking surface to the felt line. Have used it ever since. Probably not the most economical way to go but it sure worked well for me.
  • bob in st lou
    Options
    Thanks for the post. Could you explain the 3-1-1 method of cooking ribs that you mentioned.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I purchased the spider / AR oval grate combo from Tom and have been very happy with it. Before I made my purchase, I called Tom to pick his brain. He seemed happy to speak with me.

Now, I use the AR on every cook except baking. Raising meat to above the felt line allows for direct cooking without scorching the bottom of the meat. I have been doing chicken this way, and it turns out great.

Being able to wok on the spider is also a huge plus.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase and would encourage new eggers to check out the spider / AR set up.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    By moving you cooking level higher in the dome you take advantage of the hotter air in the dome and the heat of the dome it's self. This extra distance created between your lump and cooking grid makes it easy to cook direct and not char your food on the bottom before it cooks on top. Cooking direct will give you a hotter cook with less lump used. Less chance of fire flair from drippings. Even cooking indirect it gives you more space and better air flow between your lump, indirect piece (pizza stone or pan), and your food.
    It really is a good investment.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    Options
    for babybacks......3 hours smoke, 1 hour foil, 1 hour higher temp with sauce. Thirdeye explains it:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/01/pork-spare-ribs-preparing.html
  • tjv
    Options
    thanks for the kind remarks.....t
  • bob in st lou
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I visited your site and was there for about an hour looking around. Really cool accessories and necessities. You will have a new customer shortly. I will be getting your setup for my medium egg. Thanks for posting and for your helpful hints.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    You are very welcome Tom. Thanks for selling a quality product!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I use the Woo 3 for most of my cooks. Like everyone else, the raised grid gives great results for direct cooks and for indirect I have the 13"stone and Alum. drip pan. The only thing I use the platesetter for anymore is pizza, again w/ the 13" stone.

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL