Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Injections

Options
DAC2
DAC2 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was wondering if anybody had a good injection recipe they would like to share. I have never injected a brisket and would like to try it. Thanks

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Here's one I've used for the past three years or so. It always produces a great brisket or butt.

Spring "Fluid Drive" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

Brisket – Leroy’s Best Ever

Recipe By : Spring Chicken
    Serving Size: 12 Preparation Time: 30:00
    Categories : Entrees

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 8 to 15 pound brisket (Whole or Flat trimmed)

INJECT WITH FOLLOWING MIXTURE:

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

2 tablespoons warm water
    2 tablespoons Kosher salt (dissolve in warm water before adding other ingredients)
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon Cane syrup (Steen's)
    1 tablespoon Maple syrup
    1 tablespoon Cane vinegar
    1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 tablespoon White Vinegar
    1/2 cup White grape juice
    1 tablespoon Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade
    1 tablespoon Kikkoman Soy Sauce
    1 tablespoon Hershey's chocolate syrup
    1/4 cup Barbeque Sauce (optional)
    1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (optional)

Mix thoroughly. Inject in numerous locations being careful when pulling out the injector needle.

RUB:
    1/2 cup Favorite rub (any sugar based rub is probably fine)
    3 tablespoons Favorite Dizzy Pig rub (Raisin’ the Steaks is excellent) (John Henry Pecan is also good)
    (Apply just before putting on the Egg)

Smoking Wood:
    4 or 5 good size chunks of Hickory smoking wood. No need to soak. (Keeping butts cold until placing on the Egg will help to increase the smoke flavor.)

Injecting as little as 30 minutes before putting on egg is okay if you are in a hurry. Longer is better. Overnight is great.

Use BBQ Guru to maintain temperature of Egg from start to finish (if you have one).

Cook fat side down, indirect with platesetter legs up, with drip pan of water at 275° dome (225° grid) until plateau is reached (about 160°). Wrap in foil and return to the Egg for one to one and a half hours. Open foil and continue cooking to 200° internal temp.

Remove from the Egg, re-foil and wrap in towel. Place in dry ice chest for two hours (up to six hours is okay) to allow juices to re-distribute in the meat.

Slice and serve.

Note: Purist believe that once inside the Egg the butt should be left alone until it is done (200°). No foil, no misting and no peeking.

Note: Works equally well with butts.
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm gonna try this! I'm a little confused about 1 thing though ... if we're using 1/2 cup of our favorite rub, what good will 3 Tbsp of DP rub do? Or is that an either/or?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    It makes it taste better. Use more if you like. I've been known to mix two or three DP rubs into other rubs to make 'em better. Or you can just go with DP all the way.

Oh yea, a pinch or two of DP makes eggs, bloody mary's, margaritas and watermelon taste better.

Spring "Dizzy Pig Makes Everything Taste Better" Chicken
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Thanks, and I love your salutations -- always very clever!
  • DAC2
    DAC2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks off to the store!!!