Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on XL weight....

Options
azbbguy
azbbguy Posts: 191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that i am getting a table made, the thought of lowering the XL into the table is quite daunting..

What i am wondering is, roughly how heavy is the XL with innards removed, and then again how heavy is it with innards AND lid removed..

My wife and i unloaded it from my truck and into the nest, but the task of getting it into the table seems much more "awkward"

I am really debating just leaving the back open like this(but in the back of the table)
tableeggor.jpg

Comments

• rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    Options
    200 empty check the site it should have it but when I bought mine that is what I was told
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I built my table without finishing the top. lifted the base and positioned it (by my lonesome), without the guts, assembled the Egg and then built the top around the Egg. Took it apart for a relocation and my son helped take out the base. It's no big deal to disassemble and reassemble.

Don't know the weights.
  • azbbguy
    Options
    rzrrob wrote:
    200 empty check the site it should have it but when I bought mine that is what I was told

Oh, i had assumed that figure was as it sits..

The dome should shave considerable weight as well i would think.
    I built my table without finishing the top. lifted the base and positioned it (by my lonesome),
    without the guts, assembled the Egg and then built the top around the Egg. Took it apart for a
    relocation and my son helped take out the base. It's no big deal to disassemble and reassemble.

Thanks..

I dont really have the option of leaving the table top off, as i am having it built off-site..

I am just wondering if i should be able to get it in fairly easy, with 1 helper, if taken completely apart..
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you remove the fire box, fire ring, lump grate and cooking grid you would cut a bunch of weight from your 200 pound starting point. Just the cast iron lump grate is a monster on the XL. People that don't own an XL have no idea how much more the guts of the XL weigh compared to a Large BGE.
    With a friend you should have little problem moving base and dome together but removing the dome from base would make the move safe and easy. I have moved my XL both ways and it's very little work to loosen the top band and remove the dome. This is my first choice.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • brain-game
    Options
    While I have not used this product, I have seen it in several blog posts where people were building their own tables. They used this to put the egg in the table. Not sure it is worth the cost but looks like a good tool.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/product_p/potlifter.htm

-Atlanta, GA
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have used it several times with large pot plants and it works well.

Azbguy - You won't have any issues moving the base by itself with someone to help. My bride says I'm perfect for the job - week mind, strong back. In fact she some times calls me a mule or jackass or something like that. B)
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Potlifter will not fit the XL.
    I have use it with my Small and Large and it does work great.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • brain-game
    Options
    Photo Egg,

Thanks for that tidbit. Pretty important I'd say. Glad I haven't bought one..... :blush:

- Atlanta, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    You still need to buy one for your "next" Egg...
    LOL
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • brain-game
    Options
    Good point, b/c there WILL be one....
  • azbbguy
    Options
    Photo Egg wrote:
    Potlifter will not fit the XL.
    I have use it with my Small and Large and it does work great.
    Darian

That is incorrect.. I had emailed Fred this morning, to make sure that the potlifter was hefty enough for the XL, and he said this..
    we use potlifter for XL egg all the time but with "guts" removed .

FB

Even on amazon it says:
    Lifts objects up to 200 lbs and 30 inches in diameter

The thing i worried about with the pot lifter, is if i will have enough clearance, to get the straps down in the hole when i am lowering it.. Per the naked whiz the hole for the xl should be 26.5", and about 12.5" from table top, to the base where it sits.. I would think that would leave me like a .25" for the straps..
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Did Fred say they use the pot lifter to lower the XL into the tables or just to transport the XL?
    Because of the combination of weight and lack of taper on the XL my potlifter would slip as soon as the strap angles were raised as we started to lower the Egg into the table. If Amazon.com and Fred say it will work give it a try, just didn't work for me. We could carry the XL as long as we were pulling outward on the handles but as soon as we raised the handles in towards the XL Egg the Egg started slipping. A brand new pot lifter and a brand new clean Egg might slip less?
    Best of luck to you, still rather gut and remove dome in order to place in table.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • azbbguy
    Options
    Photo Egg wrote:
    Did Fred say they use the pot lifter to lower the XL into the tables or just to transport the XL?
    Because of the combination of weight and lack of taper on the XL my potlifter would slip as soon as the strap angles were raised as we started to lower the Egg into the table. If Amazon.com and Fred say it will work give it a try, just didn't work for me. We could carry the XL as long as we were pulling outward on the handles but as soon as we raised the handles in towards the XL Egg the Egg started slipping. A brand new pot lifter and a brand new clean Egg might slip less?
    Best of luck to you, still rather gut and remove dome in order to place in table.
    Darian

Interesting.. I definitely don't want a slipping egg..lol

Here is what he said..

they are thin … if you make your hole like the one on the BGE brand table no problem and you should have space around the egg for sure …and that space …maybe 1/2" … is plenty …. still a little tricky to get the egg up and over the table but we use them to do that job all the time.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Hey, it sounds like Fred is making it work. Might even be a change in the newer pot lifter design or material.
    Mine is 3-4 years old now. I would not care as much if I dropped a $50.00 pot or trash can. Just would hate to crack the Egg base or dome. I think if you have other uses for the pot lifter buy it. I use mine to move my small all the time. Even when it's still pretty warm. I can't imagine the need to pull your XL from the table very often.
    If you do go this route please let me know how it works for you.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • azbbguy
    Options
    Photo Egg wrote:
    Hey, it sounds like Fred is making it work. Might even be a change in the newer pot lifter design or material.
    Mine is 3-4 years old now. I would not care as much if I dropped a $50.00 pot or trash can. Just would hate to crack the Egg base or dome. I think if you have other uses for the pot lifter buy it. I use mine to move my small all the time. Even when it's still pretty warm. I can't imagine the need to pull your XL from the table very often.
    If you do go this route please let me know how it works for you.
    Darian

Will do.. I plan on getting a small or medium in the coming months anyway, so it will be nice to have..

I may still pull the dome off, even using the pot lifter..
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan.
    The Small Egg is always a good second Egg.
    I built a little travel table with removable legs that fits nice in my Subaru. Took it to the Plano Eggfest last year along with my Mini. I'm still working on the plan a little.
    Take care,
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    There should be no question as to whether or not you remove the dome and the guts - remove all. I moved my XL base with the dome and guts removed from my garage through the house to my backyard. I wouldn't use the potlifter to set the base in the table. I would get some help, set the base up on the table, reposition yourself and whoever is helping you then lower into the table. Then install the dome.
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    Nice table, what are you using the crock for? I have several old 10 gal. crocks. Charcoal storage? Can you keep the moisture out sufficiently? Looks like a good idea and looks cool too. Let me know. Thanks, Pilcher Man
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    Nice table, what are you using the crock for? I have several old 10 gal. crocks. Charcoal storage? Can you keep the moisture out sufficiently? Looks like a good idea and looks cool too. Let me know. Thanks, Pilcher Man