Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The" Chili Recipe

Options
mukl
mukl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure how I stumbled on this recipe: http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/bin/show_recipe.cgi?chili+recipe71

But I did and finally, after waiting for Marshall's to get in 6 qt enameled DO, I put this chili together yesterday. (funny, now that I have this DO, I've seen it everywhere...even Giada has one)

Almost followed the exact recipe in the link. Here's what I changed:
Used 1 green and 1 yellow bell pepper
Didn't have "kitchen bouquet"
started with 4T chili powder
Didn't use tapioca thickener
Below is the picture before mixing. It was very full.

This it the picture after mixing. I did throw 2 chunks of short rib in also. Will either omit them next time or go with a Korean cut, rather than an English cut.

DSC01648.jpg

At 4 hours added
1/2 T chili powder, 2T corn starch, 1t White pepper, 1t cayenne, 1t pepper, 1t salt, 1t oregano, 1t sage, 1 beef bouillon cube

Here's a pic at 4 hours

DSC01652.jpg

At 5 hours added 1T corn starch, 1T salt

Finished

DSC01654.jpg

This was very easy. The prep took a while for all of the cutting and especially seeding the peppers. For me, the spice was just about right. My cheeks were just starting to sweat. If you like it hot, I would go ahead and go with all 6T of the powder.

After the prep, just throw it all together and into the egg. I'm lucky and my egg just loves to sit at temp...so I was able to hold 250 for about 3 hours and then bumped to 300 for the last 3 hours. I used 2 chunks of bourbon barrel.

I guess this is "Texas" chili because its only meat.

This may have been one of the best things I've ever made on my egg.

I do have a question regarding the spices. Normally, I don't like "Mexican" heat...basically the sharpness of the chili. I prefer "Thai" heat. To me, the "Thai" heat is a little more rounded or a little more full and lush. Maybe because of the sweetness in most Thai dishes adds depth. I think next time I'm going to omit the last chili powder addition and go with chili flakes. What do you think?

Comments

• mukl
    Options
    This is supposed to be the first pic. I think its important because you can see how dark the spice mixture is...because I didn't have beef broth. I had to run to the store to get some and just added it when I got back. By then, the pot had been on for an hour or so...it didn't matter.

DSC01643.jpg
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Interesting recipe, but I wonder why would you skip the beef browning phase? All that flavor, never given a chance to shine.
  • mukl
    Options
    Same thing I was thinking...but the recipe specifically says to skip browning.

I don't think I missed it...I guess I'll have to try it and see if there's a difference. One thing, the meat was incredibly tender, even for stew meat. I cut about half of it at 1" dice and about half at 2" dice.

Given the pedigree of the recipe, I just wanted to follow it as closely as I could.