Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about shutting down an egg

Options
Roll Tide
Roll Tide Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As from the previous post, today was my first cook on the egg. I plan on storing my egg and table in my garage, but noticed that hours after shutting down my egg (closing damper and placing ceramic cover on top of egg where daisy goes) it is still hot, with a small amount of smoke coming out. I realize the temp may remain warm for a bit because of the ceramics efficiency, howevr with the smoke I know that there is still fire. This leads me to my question.How long does it take an egg to cool down completely and snuff out the fire? Also, this leads to the question how long before I place in my garage after a cook? I 'm sure many of you store your in the garage so yo umay have some insight to this, and even if you don't you can probably help me out.
Thanks

Comments

• Brokersmoker
    Options
    I don't have a table, and mine stgays on the deck. I usually go out and cover it about an hour or so after shutting it down. If I can lay my hand comfortably on the side of the egg, I consider it cool enough to cover.

Not very specific, but hope it helps -
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    I, along with many others on here, have put some gasket material in the ceramic top. The fire goes out pretty quick, but the egg does hold the heat for a long time.
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Thanks Brokersmoker,
    I appreciate the info. Its not too hot to touch, but justa little bit(very small amount) of smoke made me a bit leary to place in garage just yet even though temp has dropped and I'm not sure how any flames or embers could get out. Also, I'd rather not set off my fire detector in the garage...
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Woody, can you tell me how you do this? or if you have a pic that would be extremely helpful.
    Thanks,
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Options
    it csn tskr 3-4 hours to cool down, depending on outside temp. I let mine cool down for a couple hrs then bring in store. it puts a very pleasant smell inside. At home I put it in pool house after a couple hrs. I don't use the ceramic top, I just close the daisy wheel.

Larry
  • F308gt4
    Options
    Woody69 wrote:
    I, along with many others on here, have put some gasket material in the ceramic top. The fire goes out pretty quick, but the egg does hold the heat for a long time.

Any pics, or a detailed description of what you do for this?

Thanks!!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Roll Tide, After I took this pic I moved the felt to the edge of the Rain Cap near the bottom edge if it were on the egg. It will fir tight for a while and help cut off any circulating through the egg. Be Careful removing the Rain Cap from the egg it may slip from your hands. Any way I hope this helps. ;) Tim

000_1701.jpg
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Great Tim,
    I will pick up a gasket this week and get it on asap.
    Thanks
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

For now, use a piece of aluminum foil under the ceramic cap. Call your dealer or BGE for a small length of gasket material.

If you still have smoke coming out of the egg any introduction of air could get things going again.

Be careful wheeling the egg back and forth, there have a few posts of eggs tipping over and breaking. If you must have the regular nest pull the egg, don't push.

GG
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Thanks GG,
    I have mine in a table I built earlier this week. I will place some aluminum foil around to cap in the meantime.
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    GG,
    You may have missed my earlier post, but hopefully you will see this. Because of your assistance in your vent setting post I was able to nail my cook temp of 350*. this may not be too impressive for many on here, but considering it was my first time to light and cook on the egg I was greatly pleased. You have cut down the learning curve immensely. Thanks very much!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Table is usually good and safe.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thank you. I'm glad it was of help.

The picture linked too a few posts below is an older post.

Stripsteak brought up a very valid point. After my first visual guide post it was discussed that the temperature could very have been controlled by the DTMF rather than the lower vent settings.

I try to use the lower vent to get very close to my cook temperature and the DFMT for some fine adjustment.

I later re-posted with the additional pictured.

Lower vent 1/16 open at 265°
    eggsettings265_1-16.jpg

And lower vent opened wider holding 255°
    eggsettings255.jpg

The point being there are a lot of different ways to get to a cook temperature. The post is to help people not fight the process and learn what their own egg settings will end up being.

GG
  • Abe Froman
    Options
    Rt, when I got my egg, I looked at the rain cap and wondered what it was for. I have since seen in the dvd and in peoples pictures that most people seem to use the cap to shut the egg down and they place the dfmt in the egg to be cleaned by the heat.

I tried that and found it took twice as long to shut down the lump than the dfmt did in my egg. Also, the dfmt has been sticky since. The rain cap has been tossed into a closet.
    I see that some use gasket material to help seal the rain cap. That is a good idea, but since the dfmt works so well, ill stick w/that. If I went through the trouble of gluing on the gasket to the rain cap, I'd eventually drop it on the patio and shatter it anyway.

My issue is that the dfmt falls off sometimes when I open the dome. Gets kinda annoying, especially since it falls in the snow and ends up dripping all over. I need to figure a fix for that.

As for when its safe to put away, I wait until the dome is ok to touch.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If the DFMT works better for you that's all that's the only thing that matters.

Wobbly DFMT, call BGE and explain the problem, see what they can/will do.

GG
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    That is exactly what I did.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Thats a great idea. I think i will do myself. Go CATS!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY