Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowerng the temperture

Options
thailandjohn
thailandjohn Posts: 952
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the fastest way to lower the pit temperture from 275 to 225 degrees

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    All you can do is close the vents and wait. The key is to not let it get above your target temperature to begin with. If your target is 225, you should be closing the vents as the temperature is rising to 225. But if you do let it get too high for very long, all you can do is shut the vents and wait. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Pan of cold water on the grid and close down the vents.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Close the top and bottom vent to just barely open and WAIT.
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    The fastest way I know of is to put a large cold mass inside the egg and shut it. This could be the plate setter, a couple of bricks or a large peice of meat. Close both vents down to below a 1/4". The mass should "soak up some heat", and closing the vents down more should bring you down quickly. If you don't have a large mass, I would just close the vents as much as possible with out "snuffing" out the fire.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    closing the vents till you almost cant see an opening, but i have to ask what are you cooking. 275 dome is close to 250 at the grill with an inderect setup, thats a good temp for most low and slows. with a dome of 250 to 275 and an inderect setup at the grill your cooking between 225 and 250 which is why alot of eggers shoot for 250 dome
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the fast answers. I should have mentioned that I have meat already on the Egg and I raised the lid to add some other meat and I had it raised too long. I knew the lid was opened too long. Normally I can add the additional meat quickly but I had a problem this time.
    I do use the Stoker and I shut that off during the time the lid was raised
    The Egg is so good at holding heat, I can see there is no easy answer for getting the temp down fast.
    Thanks again
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    you have already been given advice, but one sure way to rapidly bring it down is to dump a cupful or two of pre soaked wood chips on the coals. Just be a aware you will also have a boat load of smoke - but you asked a quick way and that's one that has worked for me more than once when time was of the essence!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

With the stoker, just leave things alone as long as the temperature held before the dome was open.

You will get a temp spike when you open the dome. If the egg was stable the vents are left alone the egg will recover without playing around. The same will happen with the stoker.

The temperature difference isn't going to hurt anything.

GG
  • 275 won't hurt a thing. no need to try to slam on the brakes. you will never notice the difference in the food
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    I am cooking 3 1/2 down spare ribs, boneless beef short ribs and was adding the raw Louisiana hot links when I had the lid open longer than normal. I was trying to get as many links on both shelves as I could.
    I do start my cooking with a pit temp of 250 on the bottom grill. When I add the links I lower the temp to 215 to 225 depending on how much longer I think the ribs will take. I cook the beef short ribs to an internal temp of 190.
    I have cooked this combo many times
    All this is very easy using the Stoker controlling the pit temp and monitoring the internal temp of the short ribs
    Thanks again for the feedback
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    You'll be fine. Leave it alone and it will come back. Your food will turn out great, man! Enjoy