Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer

BigGreenDave
BigGreenDave Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We finally shoveled out the drive way and I decided to d oa path to the egg. I haven't been able to grill for a while with all this snow.

My thermometer says it it like 80 degrees out and it isn't. Is it frozen or broken? I never asked but can I leave it out in the cold like I have been doing it? :blush: Do I check it if it is broken or just go ahead and use it?

Thanks
Dave M.
Dave Montgomery at Wheeling West Virgina

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Stick it in some boiling water. If its close to 212 degrees Fahrenheit your good to go. No math involved.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What, no graphs?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    You should have specified....just the tip of the thermometer..
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Very good point. They don't put all of those silly warning labels on things for no reason.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Anyone have the Naked Wiz link for calibration in case it is off?

Ok here is the link:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    boiling point changes with elevation. I need to get that chart.
  •  
    The easy way is -0.5° for every 500' in elevation.

To be exact the forum has a calculator for elevation & barometric pressure as does Thermoworks and google.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub wrote:

The easy way is -0.5° for every 500' in elevation.

To be exact the forum has a calculator for elevation & barometric pressure as does Thermoworks and google.

GG

I do not know what both of them things even are! :woohoo: ? I am going to boil a pot of water and try that. I have a thermometer from the medicine cabinet I will check the temperture with too. It looks weird but I know it is a thermomter from when I was a kid.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    So does that mean since I'm at 18 feet above sea level I take a deduction of .018? I suck at math.
  • Water boils at 212 at sea level.

The thermometer in the medicine chest is for measuring human temperatures which go from 96 degrees to 105 degrees (very sick).

If you use the medicine chest thermometer in boiling water what you will have a broken thermometer at a minimum.
  • I will use 212 degrees thanks. Its not a chest thermomter mom said it was a rental thermometer. She told me not to use it anyway. If it is a rental I guess its not ours.

HEre I go.212 it is!
  • Not sure what a "rental" thermometer is. Sure she didn't say "rectal"?

If it is a rectal thermometer and she used it on you, you would remember. :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    This is another of the extremely ridiculous points we toss back and forth on this forum.

You can't even tell where 212 IS on the doggone thermometer...yet you should adjust it to 213.2 because you happen to be at a certain altitude? I would be willing to see someone try to make such fine adjustments on the thermometer.

Come on guys....a little common sense goes a long way. A degree or three isn't going to make any difference no matter what you are cooking.
  • Good idea not to put the "rental" thermometer in the same pot as the BGE thermometer because you do not know where the "rental" thermometer has been and it could spread germs to your BGE thermometer that is close to your food. :sick:
  • :laugh: :laugh:

GG
  •  
    Check it, set it or not, that's up to you.

GG
  •  
    "extremely ridiculous points"

My thermometers don't read 80° outside. I think it is a good idea to check and adjust the dome thermometer. A rough adjust is less 1/2 degree for every 500' in elevation.

For me that is just under 210° which is pretty easy for me to show on my thermometers.

What is the harm of trying to get it somewhat close and what is the harm in posting some of this information.

If it is not wanted let me know. Sorry it offends people.

Kent
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    No one got offended, but the picking of nits gets a little silly at times.

We all go back and forth between how these devices aren't all that accurate to we need to make minute adjustments based on altitude - when in reality barometric pressure plays just as big a part but we don't adjust for that every time we cook.

My point is get the darn thing close to accurate and let it rip. If it's off by a few degrees here or there across the cooking spectrum no one will EVER tell the difference.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Did you realize that "normal" with a rental thermometer is 1/2 to 1* higher than with an oral thermometer? I don't think barometric pressure matters, uh, there.

:lol: :woohoo:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• That just made me laugh harder than I've laughed in weeks. Not sure if BGD is for real or not, but keep it coming.
  • As anal as everyone here is about temps we should all just use rectal thermometers and call it good.
  • Thank you for helping figure out my thermometer. It wasn't frozen I dipped it in boiling water in a pot andit was telling me it was 220 degrees. I found on the Naked Wiz how to turn the screw in the back and I made it to say 212. Awesome! Good to go! I tested the other thermometer but it stopped reading at 105. It's just a mouth kind with a readout.

I actually cooked steaks on the egg without the thermometer whenI tested it. No Problemo

Thanx
    Dave M.