Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stones, Ribs, & Fire Bricks?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am very new at this. Do you need the BGE Stone or can you use a pampered chef or another brand stone?
I want to make Baby Back ribs? Best recipes needed?
I need to know what fire bricks are & how to use them?
Thanks ahead of time.

Comments

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    You can use any stone, but the question is whether the stone will hold up. The pampered chef ones tend to crack when the temp gets up there a little. If you don't want to spring for the stone, try using some fire bricks instead. Any brick yard will know what you are talking about. They are bricks used in the construction of the firebox on a firebplace. They are gray, like a cinder block, but solid. You can buy what is known as a split, which is just a little bit thicker than the stone. Buy a half dozen of them, total investment is couple bucks. Play and experiment.[p]Having said that, I like the bge plate setter for indirect cooks. It is the lazy man's answer to how to do an indirect.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Fred ,[p]Hounddog has his typical excellent advice below. Let me chime in to say that all pizza stones are not created equal. What will work perfectly well in a gas or electric oven may not in a ceramic cooker - due as much IMHO to the rate of cool down as to the rate of heat up. For not having to replace it when it cracks, a BGE stone is a sound investment.[p]Rather than give you my recipe for ribs, let me refer you to Bill Wise's recipe book, on The Naked Whiz's web site.[p]Welcome to the fun![p]Ken