Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom Vent Door Problem with new Egg

MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have been enjoying our new Large Egg for the past three months, cooking on it 3 or 4 times a week. It is off the ground in a nest and remains covered with a BGE cover. However, the bottom vent is jamming to a point where you have to use pliers to open/close. I have made certain that the upper and lower groves are free of any debris and even lubed them a bit with WD-40. They just stick and you end up bending the little curved handle sometimes before the darn thing will open or close. [p]Any ideas???[p]Love the Egg, the food that comes out of it and this forum![p]MW

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    MW,
    Same problem here. I've cleaned it out with a toothpick (the grooves). I've done the WD40. I think I'm just going to replace mine with the stainless verion. I know when I'm defeated.[p]By the way, where do you get those flat metal grates to put on the grill so I can get to my beef jerky experiments and not have them all fall through to a sure death on the coals?

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    MW,[p]I don't have that problem but mine has stuck sometimes - mainly always because of tiny pieces of ash in the top or bottom groove. I would avoid wd-40 (aka kerosine & fragrance)as the kerosine gums up and collects and holds grit which then can act like liquid sand paper. Like Molly - I am going to install the stainless since mine lives outdoors unprotected, but your original vent should not bind like your describing. Check for more ash in the tracks (top and bottom) and you may need to remove one side so the vent door can be removed and the grit removed. [p]Hope it helps.[p]Tim
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    MW,[p]You might have the same problem I did when I replaced my original lower vent with the stainless version. The actual sliding door itself simply didn't match the curvature
    of the intake assembly and was binding. I removed the bolts on the right side of the door mount and was able to pull the door out and gently shape by hand for a better fit. Could this be the problem?[p]K~G

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MollyShark,
    I have seen those grill toppers at the kitchen stores (like Bed Bath Beyond, Linens and Things, Lechters) and also at BBQs Galore. [p]Or you can do like Gfw does, and use two standard grates rotated 90 degrees.[p]Q on.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    KennyG,
    I think you probably hit it. Mine is a little stiff, but doesn't present problems for me. But after looking at it, it looks as if there are certain areas where there is more friction. Nothing a little selective bending won't fix.[p]Like Tim, I would be hesitant to put any wet lubrication on it. If lubing does help, it won't be for long....plus the fact that you are using chemicals in a cooker.[p]Take a close look at where that thing rubs the most, and patiently correct it.[p]Good luck.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    MollyShark,
    You might try one of those 'fish' grates that they had at Eggfest. It's black, round, has a lot of 1/4" (about) holes in it, fits nicely in a large Egg and costs about $30. Your local Egg dealer might have one.
    JimW

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]This works perfect. I salveged the grates out of the old water smoker and use them on the medium as my indirect setup. Also works well as a second grill level elevated off of the main grill with firebricks.[p]Troy
  • MW
    MW Posts: 61
    KennyG,
    Thank you for the advice..ALL!!!
    I think the stainless steel one sounds great (grate!) where can I find one??
    MW

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    MW,[p]Call the retail store in Atlanta. The 800 number is on this site. They should be able to ship one out to you ASAP.