Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to open a new bag of lump. I have 2 green bags and 1 WG. What is WG best suited for? I'm not planning any lo/slo next few cooks.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    about anything Ron
  • Bacchus
    Well Im drawing a blank but I know alot of folks brag about it. Is it long burning? Any advantage to mixing it with BGE?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron,

I'm not wowed by it. It does have a long burn time but it is more difficult to get going. I prefer maple leaf.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I was not the least bit impressed with Wicked Good. I do think it burns longer but much harder to get going.

Mike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I use it for everything. 'Course, I have about a dozen bags left. :) Love it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Steve, I was talking to some of the "smoking team" from Canada in Eggtober and they were saying the same thing. I'd love to get my hands on a couple bags of that stuff.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    But if you can get it for $15 for 22# with a group order it makes sense financially.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    cant beat maple leaf :) cant get it down here any more :( the old comp blend wg was the stuff of lore, long burning and really good for cooks where you didnt want much flavor from the lump, very clean burning. have not tried the newer weekend warrior stuff yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    I'll keep my eyes open for an opportunity to get some to you. It got a bad rap on a review website but I haven't found anything more dependable. In all the years I have used it, I have never had and debris or rocks. Always lots of large pieces. It produces almost no white or greysmoke and it lights like a champ.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Probably WG is easier to get going if you mix WG with BGE or Royal Oak
  • Use it for everything. Tried everything else and always stick by WG.

For those of you that find it hard to light, a little practice is all you need. I don't even think about it now days.

That reminds me, I have to get some more WG Briquettes to keep around, hope they still have it.
  • Little Steven
    fishlessman,

I meant the weekend warrior. That is the only WG I have used.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i used to find some rocks in it. its the smell that makes the maple leaf so good. have yet to try that ww, need to cause its time to order a pallet and i dont want to do that til i try it first
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I'd use it for anything. It is relatively easy to light with a chimney starter, which is how I test them all. So try it and see what you think... Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    fishlessman,

I didn't mean it was horrible. Just that with all the hype when it came out I expected better. I would say it was better than Royal Oak by a longshot.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    I like WG for lo 'n slow, but I sometimes find gigantic lumps that require me to cut down to size. Use the BGE stuff and save the WG for long cooks.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I use it for everything...just dump...I haven't had too many issues lighting with a mapp torch, just bury the head because it will spark.

The pieces can be big and dense....around me the only others I can get are cowboy and Kingsford (summertime), so WG is my best option.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I've been wanting to try some maple leaf too. Let me know if you find a way to get some. Thanks!
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Ron,

I bought half a pallet and love it. The things I absolutely love it for are lo-n-slo, and for high temp burns when I don't want to run out, like cooking 6 pizzas at 650. Last time I did that on the medium, I did 6 pies, then cooked ABTs at 400 for an hour, and still had leftover.

Lighting is easy with MAPP.

Best of luck.

Richard
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    I use WG for everything. The really gigantic pieces are either handled with a sledge or saved for the offset smoker. I thought it was hard to light when I first started using it but now it seems normal: put on long sleeves, don clear goggles and quantlet style leather gloves, grab the Mapp gas torch and have at it. This lights the lump very well and I'm protected from all the sparks produced when the torch hits it. And now, the neighbors don't even call the Fire Dept anymore.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Hey Todd,

Have you got'en into that Black Cherry yet? I have been using it quite a bit and don't see any downside to it. The aromatics are incredible. :)
  • Ripnem
    Totally agree Jon and I need to try it. Few hundred lbs of WG in the garage and sometimes don't like the wait.
  • Ripnem
    Ron,

I get such a great deal on it. (50cents a lb) that I buy large amounts. I light it with a torch and really get after it if I will be cooking hot. I think a weed burner would be sweet if I used my large more. I think adding BGE into the mix would help things along a little faster.

The WG burns super freekin long. I did a small butt (in the small) that cooked for 9 hours and didn't make a noticeable difference in the lump pile. Hauled it out to the lake and cooked 'hot' on it all afternoon.

It doesn't put much smoke flavor into the meat without any smoking wood. I kinda like that and kinda don't. At least then it's up to me vs. having a smoke flavor in everything.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Too funny.

I just duck. Got a small burn on my arm a week ago, but not too bad. I do wear my glasses to protect my eyes.

MAPP is definitely the way to go. Ran out, and went back to propane, which takes WAY too long. Home depot run tomorrow.

Richard
  • Hey RB. Some guys in Nashville have an order going out and they are almost up to 4 pallets. To far from me, Lilburn, GA, cost me $100 in gas. Maybe we should try to put a order together here in Atlanta? I am going to my dealer tomorrow and buy his last bag if he still has it. I want to try it before I jump on an order.
  • Little Steven
    Will do buddy!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Don't bother. There is no "real" mapp available anymore. The current yellow cylinders don't work any better than regular propane yet cost two or three times as much.

See MAP/PRO in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPP_gas
  • I use it for everything. I find that it is not that hard to get started. I have been using the BBQ Guru Golf Club with Mapp Gas and it doesnt take that long to get started. I recently ordered a 60 bag pallet from Larry. He was excellent to deal with and he kept me up to date with my shipment since it came all the way across the country. I also find that the bags have some hugh pieces.

I recently had to clean my BGE. I was told to clean it by doing a burn for several hours at 550. I did for about 5 hours for 550-600 degrees. I started with a full bowl and it was at least half full when I was done. It has a really good burn rate and I like the stuff. By ordering the pallet, even with shipping I still saved $10.00 a bag vs. retail. I split them up with several of my relatives.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I mostly use RO for cooking but I do have a bag or 2 of WG laying around. For LOnSLO I will use a mixture of the 2. RO gets going quickly and the WG burns slower so the combo works really well. The last time I used WG only I lost the fire because I did not have it lit well and it went out.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!