Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini in fireplace?

hornhonk
hornhonk Posts: 3,841
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen pics of minis in fireplaces. Are they safe to use that way? If so, how hot do you dare run them?

Comments

• I don't have that set-up.....but as a home builder I would say there is no problem at all with it. What is different about it vs an open fire? As long as you open the damper on the fireplace, my assumption would be that you can take it as high as you like in temp as well. I would also just guess that the temps would be somewhat limited on their own just based on the fact that you won't have the "outside" air helping to fuel the fire in the egg, but that may be a wrong assumption.
  • hornhonk
    Do you think there would be any grease build-up in the chimney that could cause a fire?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

As long as the fireplace is a fireplace and not an insert type set up.

I have never tried it but I would be concerned about the house having a wonderful campfire aroma.

GG
  • hornhonk
    I'm wondering if I should try it.
  • If there were to be any grease build-up at all it would be just above the Egg, as in right on the damper. However, even if it did build a little there, no it would not cause a fire hazard, imo.
  • carbon monoxide would be the worry for me.

charcoal inside? bad idea
  • Grandpas Grub

I wouldn't dare recommend one way or another as I don't know your fireplace. I wouldn't be concerned in mine, other than the aroma.

Make sure you are protected from any potential sparks popping out into the room.

I cook outside in all kinds of weather including sub zero temperatures. It was raining, windy and below freezing when I just took off the summer sausage.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Good and very important thought. Better have some monitors installed.

GG
  • hornhonk
    I will keep my mini outside! I think the minuses out-weigh the positives.
  • Strip, not to be a smartass, but you do know how "hardwood lump" is made, right? It is burned wood.... :ohmy: .....which is EXACTLY what you do in a real, vented fireplace......burn wood. The damper and chimney are there to take the smoke up........just like if you were burning a fire....no worries there. ;)

As for the sparks popping....the same thing happens with a wood burning fire, only a lot more. Put a screen in front of it if you are worried about that......

Having said all of that, as I said earlier I don't use a mini inside.....but I can't because I have a ventless gas fireplace and no chimneys.
  • hornhonk
    Hmm...I may reconsider. Mine is a true fireplace, flue, damper, et al. I'll bet my wife will not cater to the idea, however. And my dogs would probably think it's a new-fangled fire hydrant. :(
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I don't notice any campfire smell at all. I get more from a regular fire. I do have a CO monitor nearby but it has never gone off. I've been using this setup for the last 2 winters.
    DSC_0193.jpg
    DSC_0193.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg

The only thing I notice is that when I walk down the street my fireplace smells different than the neighbors. :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Seems to me it's no different than building a fire in a fireplace, which is what they're for after all. For several years, I have used an Alton Brown flower pot for lo n slo's in my fireplace (smoldering wood chips in a pan on a hotplate in a terra cotta pot). Worked great, although cooking on your hands and knees is a bit of a pain.

GG is right though, at least with my old setup. There is a definite campfire aroma wafting through the house. :) Not bad though. And anyway, I LIKE campfires. LOL On the other hand, with the higher temps of the egg vs the flower pot, I may get a better draft going and not notice it at all.

Just got my Mini yesterday and will try it soon. Don't think I'll use the MAPP to light it with though, sparks would be a concern. We'll see...

4285793773_bfa8641c63_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Woodbutcher, that's a nice looking setup you showed in the first two pics. However, opening up the mini and showing us that beautiful hunk of cow just ain't fair! You're stacking the deck strongly in favor of the mini in the fireplace.

Uglydog
  • when you buld a fire in a fireplace you have quite a draft.

what kind of draft can you be assured of by a mini?
  • Woodbutcher
    I stay away from MAPP inside the house. :lol::lol: I use starter cubes. The mini starts pretty quick anyway.
  • Woodbutcher
    :laugh: I did that on purpose!
  • a smaller flue will help create a better draft with a smaller fire.

if i had a big flue and a small fire i would just be careful. if i don't have a decent draft when starting a fire in my house i will often light a chunk of newspaper up on the smoke shelf to get the columan of air in the fue nice and warm and flowing before the fire is lit.

i'm not saying it's not possible to use the mini, just saying that you need to guarantee you have a draft. if the fire is very small, the draft should be there before the fire is.
  • Woodbutcher
    Maybe it's because I have a leaky old house but I never have a problem with a draft.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Then remember and hope. If you have a few baths with fans and a range hood, water heater and furnace you could change the draft he is talking about in seconds without any idea what you have done.
  • same here. i have been "lucky" enough to live in old house (one was nearly 350)... and they were all drafty.

but looking at your set up, it looks like you have it in a spot with a smaller flue. smaller flues are actually one strategy for better draft. big flues and small fires can give you a rolling bunch of slow moving smoke. but i guess you can eventually overcome it once the air column in the large flue gets warm and rises...
  • yep.

one more reason for someone to know what they are doing before doing what they are doing.

guns can be perfectly safe when pointed straight at your head, for example.
  • Woodbutcher
    Yea it works out well. I wouldn't attempt it in my main fireplace. It's 2 sided and sometimes I have draft problems with a normal fire.
  • i have been cooking( using the regular fireplace fire) for many years and found no build up of grease.... i think if you used your mini....and perhaps, you never built a regular fire... you might get a small build up but i wouldn't be concerned...
  • Carolina Q
    I'll let you know how it goes. I will have a fire extinguisher handy :) and can always lug it outside if I find that I am smoking my living room furniture instead of the chicken. Oh, and I have no intention of using MAPP to light this sucker. Cubes or oiled paper only. Stay tuned, might even do some thighs for lunch.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodbutcher
    Looking forward to seeing the results. It sure is handy having it in the house.
  • why would mapp be a bad idea?
  • Carolina Q
    Sparks all over my carpet, which is only about 18" from the egg. Using WG, which seems to throw it's fair share.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodbutcher
    I get a lot of sparks with the torch. I have the "golf club" attachment from Guru which would probably make it safer.