Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hats off to Dr Chicken and his Double Smoked Ham

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Third time I've fixed Dr Chicken's Double Smoked Ham complete with the delicious glaze and the injection recipe made with various Watkin's extracts. The first time was GREAT, the second time confirmed its winner status and today it was proof positive! Thanks Dave!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    RRP, My Dr Chicken's Double Smoked ham is at 138° right now. Looking forward to eating it. [p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • RRP
    Options
    BeerMike,
    I suggest you pull it now...Dave has since revised his instruction to pull at 137 which I did and let it rest for 30 minutes on the counter. I lightly tented mine and left the probe in until I cut it and it only dropped 2 degrees in tht 30 minutes.

• smokeydrew
    smokeydrew Posts: 130
    Options
    RRP,
    I decided to try the double smoked ham after seeing the recent post and I too must compliment Dr Chicken on his recipe. It was tender and juicy with a wonderful glaze. The whole extended family enjoyed a 21 pounder.[p]-SmokeyDrew

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    RRP,BeerMike & Smokey,[p]My 22 lb monster just hit 120 degrees internal. So it looks like din-din will be about 7:30 pm. The 3 I did yesterday met with rave reviews.[p]My hat is off to all of you'uns that used the recipe. I'm glad it turned out so well! But, like I always say, "It's not the recipe, it's the Cook that makes things right!"[p]I'm still waiting to hear from Vic ("The Thing")to see how his turned out. I hope as well as all of your's did![p]Cheers to all![p]Dr. Chicken

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Sorry about that! It should have been SmokeyDrew![p]Dr. C
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Ditto to the "hats off." Cooked a 10+ pound Cook's half shank (bone in) using Dr. Chicken's recipe and it's absolutely a winner.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,[p]Is this where we vote for man of the year? Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked was acclaimed "best ham ever" by everyone I served it to.[p]Ken
  • RRP
    Options
    BlueSmoke, by golly I think it is! That rascal has done a lot for ceramic cooking and hasn't received any due acclaim in my book...let's give Dave - er, I mean Dr Chicken, his due respect!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    RRP,
    mine also turned out great. . .pics later. . . .that glaze is killer!!. . .only deviation i took from the doctor's recipe, was i slathered my ham in dijon mustard and brown sugar when i first put it on the egg, then topped it with the glaze the last hour per doc chicken. . .. [p]fantastic ham!!