Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am truly blessed

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not only do I live in Kansas City....a location which boasts some of the best BBQ in the nation...but I also own an egg. Perhaps I should give my egg to someone in California...you know...to someone who really NEEDS it. :P

I ate at my favorite BBQ joint today...it feels good to be alive. Check out this grub.

P1000311.jpg

P1000307.jpg

P1000315.jpg

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    You'll soon be blessed even more when carwash mike's place opens in Belton! You are fortunate indeed!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Whats all that dirty looking white stuff in front of that building? :ohmy:
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Kitarkus wrote:
    Perhaps I should give my egg to someone in California...you know...to someone who really NEEDS it. :P

Put that bad boy on a truck and send it to me. I will give your egg a good home. ;)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I have seen them on something on the food network..and it looked like a great place...that is a generous plate of food...what did ya get???? Brisket????
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Yes...that is a "beef sandwich" with a side of fries (vs. an order of fries...which is an entire plate brimming over the edges). One sandwich from Arthurs is enough to feed 2 normal men...or one of me. This is the best place on earth imo...and I've been going there since I was a small boy. I named my cat Josey after the cashier there...the cashier died about 15 years ago...and my 19 year old cat died last month :( Truth be told...I'd like to have my ashes spread in the BBQ pit at Arthurs. There is no place that gets my motor running like Arthurs. I had a big glass or red cream soda with my meal...my black friends turned me on to it...and I only drink it with BBQ....soooo damn good.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    No added pressure needed Rebecca. :) I can't begin to tell you how many Presidents have ate at Arthur Bryants.
    Kitarkus went to the orginal one. A true icon in KC.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I haven't been there for years. I am "Jack Stack" fan. What are they charging for that now? What kind of beef?
    I need a couple reviews if you want to drive to Belton if about 30 days.
    Mike
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Dang you got me drooling on my keyboard! :P
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    I hadn't heard that you were opening a "joint" Mike. Let me know where/when so I can give it a whirl. I've been eating at the good places here for as long as I can remember. I use your BB rib recipe...if that is any idication...you'll do just fine. That said...I have never in nearly 40 years eating KC BBQ eaten any BB ribs at a BBQ joint. I only make those at home or if I am at Jack Stack (not a true BBQ joint). Good luck Mike!
  • WessB
    Options
    Sounds awesome...I can only imagine what they would say to spreading your ashes in their pit... :) It is a true testament though..never had or heard of red cream soda.....
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    We used to drink red cream soda as kids. I think it went off the market during the red dye #5 scare. Glad to hear you can get it again.
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    I'm a purist Mike...and I admit to being a BBQ snob. I like Jack Stack myself...I like it very much. I do not, however, consider Jack Stack to be a BBQ joint. The true test of KC BBQ imo is how well you can do a plain old brisket sandwich. Ribs help too. At Jack Stack I am mighty fond of their side dishes, chicken, and (believe it or not) smoked fish is EXCELLENT. That said....beef and ribs are what I'm usually after. Bryants got me for about $14 which is a sandwich that feeds two, more fries than you can eat, and a soda that will make you cry for a bathroom on the drive home.

Kitarkus

PS....I can't get my wedding ring off tonight...my fingers will be swollen up from the sodium :lol:
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Maybe so, be we have "Pinks" "In and out Burgers" and "The Hat" and "Barneys Beanery" so cal favorites
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    No doubt. I go to Seal Beach a couple times a year...and always hit In & Out more than once. I go 'animal style' when I order a burger there. Delicious...and great fries for a fast food joint.

Last time I was at Barney's Beanery...I sat next to Huey Lewis. Hilarious. Now THAT is the "power of love"
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Kitarkus wrote:
    I go to Seal Beach a couple times a year...

Perfect. I am just a few miles away. Bring your egg next time for me so it can retire someplace warm. :laugh:

BTW, California has Santa Maria style BBQ. I know it's not the same, but it is a tradition, and I have had some really nice tri-tip cooked over oak. You throw in some good sourdough bread and salsa...Yummy.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Do they serve baby backs or spares? Brisket is so hard. But, I understand what you are saying. My beef sammies will be more of a pit beef. Leaner.

Mike
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Like most of the true BBQ joints around here...Gates, Arthurs, OK Joe, Rosedale etc.....they do spares only. Typically you can specify long end or short end...but pork spares is the norm. Occasionally someone will have beef...but rare.

As you know...Jack Stack does Baby Backs...and also offer lamb ribs, beef ribs, and several varieties.

I particularly like the brown wrapping paper at Arthurs...and the paint brush that sloppily and amply lathers the sandwhich with sauce sloshed from a bowl.
    My wife says its "dirty"....I say that "dirt" is where the flavor comes from. There are now 3 Arthurs here...and the 2 new ones aren't worth even stopping for.
  • WessB
    Options
    Mike...I left you a VM on your cell...but not sure if I still got a current number for ya...
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Arthur Bryant is dead. The question is now how many president's will eat at Carwash Mikes. No pressure though. :woohoo:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I would be tickled to death if you did.

Mike
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I know the looks I get from that family and friends when I take pics of food. I'll bet the folks in the store thought you were nutz :laugh:
  • MileHighMatt
    Options
    I grew up in KC and the origins of Jack Stacks was true BBQ joint material! I wish I knew the name of the street is was off of. You walked in and the kitchen was on the left and you could see the pit! Went there in the early 80's.

Damn fine!

The new place at Union Station is good, but does not have the "joint" feel. You have got to love the beans!!

The AB's off of Brooklyn is the true BBQ joint material. Crazy lines at lunch.

Grew up in KC, but in Denver now!

Matt
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Surely you refer to the Jack Stack which is in Martin City...out South on Holmes Rd. It is the old original where people wait in line for hours. It is a large "old school" restaurant.

Don't get me wrong..I like Jack Stack...I REALLY like Jack Stack. I do not, however, consider it a BBQ joint. The food is great...but anyplace that I can order a martini is NOT a BBQ joint.

Damn...I want me some Jack Stack cheezy corn bake about now....maybe some beans too. They now have a place on the Country Club Plaza. My folks live down there...and it is a great place to get some grub and a drink in the evening. It is a restaurant experience...not a joint experience.
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    JoJo...If I were to worry about people thinking I'm nutz...I'd be crippled with fear. I embrace my nuttiness. I much prefer photos of the food I've eaten as opposed to the women that I've been with...better memories ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Gotta agree -- one of my favorites (along with Rosedale which was my grandfather's favorite, and Smokestack in Gladstone).

I remember getting those sandwiches on the way to Royals games in the 80s and paying $6. Back then they had loaves of Wonder bread laying out with the tops ripped open and you took as much bread as you needed to make as many sammies as you could from the heaping piles of meat.

I went to the new one out in KS off 435 last time I was in town and the brisket there was pretty good. Not the same as the shop downtown, but not too bad.

Next time I come up to KC let's me, you, and Mike meet there for lunch and have an eating contest.
  • Fidel
    Options
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    My fathers office has always been down by Rosedale. I remember as a kid unwrapping the foil around the sandwhiches....I have a soft spot for Rosedale. KU med is around the corner from Rosedale...and a Dr. buddy of mine were having lunch and he had a brilliant epiphany. The Rosedale sauce....the part of it that makes it "Rosedale"...is cinammon!!! I'd eaten there for 30+ years....never realized it....but the minute he said cinammon I knew he was exactly correct.

Ya....Arthurs was bought by Berbiglia. Berbiglia is a big KC liquor store chain. He was smart enough not to change a thing at the old 17th and Brooklyn location....but he surely did raise the prices.

Eating contest? Hell...I'd be lucky to finish one whole sandwich...but I'd never turn down a good excuse to have AB's. Seriously now here...my uncle had his wedding reception at Arthur Bryants. He is absolutely fanatical about the place...and has been since he was a child (he is 60 now). If you haven't been there.....you gotta understand....it is a joint. Berbiglia has cleaned it up in recent days....but back in the old days you could slide back to your table cuz the floors were literally slick with grease. They used to ferment the sauce in the front windows (they still have the big jugs in the windows but now it is just for show). It was just in the last 10 years that the cups were printed with their logo. This place used styrofoam and was no muss no fuss. They absolutely still keep the bread in the window for your grabbing pleasure. I was dismayed today, however, as they changed the Butternut bread (it was never Wonder Bread) to some generic. I never eat white bread...but at AB's I ONLY eat white bread. Anyway...they had it all at this reception: Beef, turkey, ham, mutton, ribs, sausages, fries, beans....it was heavenly to see all that Arthur's spread out before me.

Any woman that would allow you to have your wedding reception at AB's is my kinda woman. Sidenote...they are divorced now :whistle:
  • Fidel
    Options
    I remember going there around lunch time. You could always tell when you were getting close to AB's because, let's face it, the restaurant isn't in the best part of town, but you get within a couple blocks and parked along the streets are all the high-dollar cars.

Lines would go from the counter out the front door and around the corner. The smell would drive you crazy while waiting your turn. Then the guy behind the counter would grab hands full of meat on put it on the bread, then handful after handful of fries until he couldn't fit any more on there. You had to dig through the fries to find the sandwich.

I absolutely remember the big glass jars of sauce in the front window. Good memories. You're making me homesick. I grew up between KC and St. Joe in a small town called Wallace - right around Faucett, Dekalb, New Market, and Weston. Went to High School in St. Joe.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Not to take away from your fond memories of Missouri but as a young adult I got my experience in a strip joint in St.Joseph some where around 1975. I will never forget that night. I'll have to admit food was far from my thoughts. :woohoo: Tim
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    When did Bondon buy ABs?

Mike