Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

guava wood

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just found a site that sells guava wood and will ship to the US for not a bad price. Any of the eggxcperts ever try the stuff. They also have a Kiawe wood but are out now, ever try it??

Comments

• Lanier Jim
    Options
    Heck - I can't even spell either of those names! :)

I've heard of the "G" one...not the other. Where from...South America?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Greg used to post here a lot a couple years ago(I'm assuming it is his site you stumbled across). Guava is a terrific mild smoking wood.
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    They mine it outta bat caves in the west.I heard it's good on a garden too. :woohoo: :laugh: FUNNIN!!! Never used it but have read great reviews on it. :)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I believe you have it mixed up with the famous Guano Wood which is mined deep in the Grand Canyon. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :ohmy: :whistle: :laugh:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    :laugh: Very good...Gregg .. I believe from Hawaii.. had the Guava wood stash..good stuff..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I think HungryMan is the eggspert on this wood
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Guava Greg's site is one of the first sites I stumbled onto with this forum. I bought Guava wood from him. The chunks are big and the wood smells great. It is a mild wood. I still have some chunks from 2 yrs ago because the chunks are large enough to split into pieces. I highly recommend his woods.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Like others have said it's good and produces a mild smoke taste. Here's a picture for sake of reference of how much you get in that order from Greg.
    IMG_00911.jpg

PS to Ottawa Egger:
    would you NOT expect me to have a picture of yet THIS too? :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mr. D
    Mr. D Posts: 32
    Options
    Just got a shipment from Hawaii. Great stuff. Comes in chunks. You have to split it but it's easy. Taste awesome. $ 60 will get you a box from Hawaii. Thanks to USPS If it fits it ships ( I'm not a postman ) Good luck
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Kiawe wood is a tree that is closely related to mesquite (same genus different species), although I have never used it there is now a lump charcoal (ono brand from HI.) on the market made from this wood.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Thanks for the pic Ron. I wondered what cam in an order. Looks like about a buck a chunk. I Guess since I get the Apple and Black Cherry for nuttin I could go nuts and try some Guava.

Funny thing is we stayed in the same town as this Greg is in and he wouldn't sell any locally. Shipped overseas only. :S
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    as I recall Greg is in the same line of biz that you are. BTW I took an axe to most all of those pieces and split them into 4 or 5 pieces - that way I didn't use more than I needed. It's a sweet smelling smoke and great for chicken since it's not overbearing. I still have several pieces for at least 5 or 6 more cooks. One strange property of that wood - back then I was accustomed to soaking my wood in water and that wood turns the water red!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • faithie999
    Options
    not sure how you paid $60 for a box. must have been a big box.
    i bought some guava from "guava greg" a yr or so ago. i thought i paid in the mid-20's.
    just googled for his web site:
    http://www.hawaiiguava.com/#

he quotes $28 for a box (about 12 lb).

ken
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Love em both!!! Espeically the guava! Been using them for a couple years now, and both produce mild smoke flavors. Well worth the purchase. Warning though, they come in pretty large hunks that I recommend cutting down. The woods are both VERY hard....and slow burning. A chisel and hammer working with the wood grain works pretty well. ;)