Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork shoulder

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new BGE owner. Last night I bought a pork shoulder. Does anyone have a great recipe? I would prefer, being from Memphis, to go in the BBQ direction.[p]Also, what is the best beer to drink while cooking pork?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Joel Johnson,
    Well, there's nothing wrong with coating that puppy with a nice coat of Dizzy Pig rub and cooking at 225-250 until the meat reads 200 degrees or so. Alton Brown brined his butt if you want to try something new. Other folks inject their butts with their favorite recipes. If you are leaning to BBQ, then I'd go with a basic rub and cook it low and slow until it's ready. Do the cook indirect and don't be impatient when the meat hits a plateau around 160-170 degrees. I think most folks recommend expecting 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. Good luck and let us know how it turns out![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Joel Johnson,
    This is the rub I use when I go with a red BBQ sauce instead of a vinegar sauce.
    4 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons sea salt or kosher
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    1 teaspoons cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon cummin
    I some times add some raw sugar if I feel like it. If you don't have the Dizzy Pig Rubs yet I would recommend them. I have a brisket on now covered in their Cow Lick rub. [p]As far as the beer goes, it doesn't matter as long as you have an amount that will last as long as your lump will. [p] [p]

• Joel Johnson,
    I've got a butt on right now with this stuff. The buttermilk goop taste a lot better than it sounds. Give it a try. BTW - I usually drink light beer when cooking so I don't get done before the low and slow does. Cheers......

[ul][li]Buttermilk goop[/ul]
  • Joel Johnson,
    I am fairly new as well, and have done 4 pork butts with Elder Ward's recipe and they have all turned out perfect. You can get it from the downloadable cookbook at www.cherokeestove.com.[p]