Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Trojan Egg
Trojan Egg Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received a BGE for Christmas and have decided to smoke a Boston Butt for New Years day celebration. I have read several threads on the do's and don'ts for the temp and fire control but I would like to know is it a good idea to use the plate setter attachment for long, slow cooks such as this? Also could it really take up to 16hrs for an 8lb "butt" to be thoroughly cooked?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes & Yes...Figure 1 1/2 - 2 hrs per pound at 250 degrees indirect...yes use the platesetter with some sort of drip pan on the platesetter. go to
    www.nakedwhiz.com

for a complete tutorial...but keep in mind if done correctly this will be the best pulled pork you ever ate....
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Yes and yes.

The plate setter can be used if you want to place a pan under the grill to catch any grease. You should be cooking at a low temperature (190-240) so it will take some time. The other point is that you're not cooking just to point of the pork being "done". You're cooking it so that the fat and collagen melts out of the meat. This starts to occur when the meat reaches about 165 and the longer you can keep the meat temperature in that range (160-170) the 'cleaner' the meat will be. Plan on about 75 to 105 minutes per pound for cooking time. Most of us try to reach an internal of from 195 to 205 before we consider it finished.
  • boehmer
    Options
    I have cooked a few butts on my egg. be sure that you build your fire right otherwise it may go out half ways through your cook.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    At the least, you will want to find a way to have a drip pan under the butt, It will shed lots of fat. The platesetter works fine as a platform. I usually use a two grill setup, with a pan on the lower grillm and the meat on the extended grill.

As above, yes, should plan for up to 16 hours. If it is done earlier, plan to wrap it in 2 layers of foil, then in towels, and then into a cooler with bottles filled with hot water. A butt taken off at 200 will remain above 140 for many hours when wrapped and stored as described.
  • Trojan Egg
    Options
    That brings up another question. Do I fill the "charcoal" up to the top of the fire ring and how long do I let the fire heat up before I close the lid and try to control the temp? I am very new to this and I hope I have not bitten of more than I can chew.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    About half way up the fire ring should give you lots of extra lump for the cook.

But you ask about how long you should go before closing the top. And you ask if you have bitten off more than you can chew. Umm, you may have jumped into the deepish end a little quickly.

Do go to

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

right away.

You may not get pulled pork at the first try. You may have to tend the fire every few hours, because you may not yet have learned the routine,

If you can keep the well rubbed butt in the Egg for just 4 - 6 hours, you will have the base for a meal that tastes really good. You will want the internal temperature to come to 165. At that point you will have slicing pork. It will taste very good,and be moist. You may want or need to finish it in your oven.

Getting to pulling temperature, around 195, takes a lot longer. Not hard at all once you get the hang of it.