Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Chili Question

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is a question for the Longhorns on the board, what smoking wood should I use for Texas Style Chili?
I am planning to use a combination of Hardwood and Mesquite Charcoal. I also figured to use a chunk of Red Oak. Is there any other wood that I could add to help the cause or should I leave the mix that I have alone?[p]I have entered a chili cook off at work and I want to knock the socks off of everyone. I work in a sizeable office, so I am not sure of my competition. One thing that I am pretty sure of though is that no one is cooking on a BGE so I figure that I am a leg up on everyone else. The other kicker that I am hoping works out is a blend of Mexican chilies: Ancho, Pasillia, Chipolte, Fresh Pablano and Fresh Seranno. My hope is to keep the heat level down but add a pepper flavor that most people in Ohio have not had.[p]Last question, how are Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Chilies? Are they worth adding to the chili or should I just stick with regular crushed tomatoes and add a can of green chilies.[p]I cook the Chili tonight for the contest tomorrow.[p]Any thoughts are appreciated.
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    RhumAndJerk, go get em!

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I can't help you on the first question. Whenever I make chili now, I stick to Kenny G's recipe. I haven't had the opportunity to try alot of different chilis from "pros" but that stuff is by far the best I've ever had. He uses hickory, mesquite and pecan. [p]As far as Ro-Tel goes, its really used for convenience to make chili con quesa and the likes around these parts. It comes in several different heat levels with the "hot" being quite hot. It also comes in a few different flavors including one that says something about chili on the front of the can. Personally, I don't like this one because it has too much cumin in the mix IMO. I don't think you would go wrong if you used the mild or medium brands. However, if you like green chilis, you might want to go the other route. Not too many of them in each Ro-Tel can. Mac
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Mac in NC ,[p]I saw Kenny G's Chili recipe on here a few days ago. I can't locate it to copy it now though. Where can I find it.[p] Thanks
    Dave

• smokeydrew
    smokeydrew Posts: 130
    Mac in NC ,
    I would have to agree that Kenny G's recipe is the best chili I have ever had. I made it saturday in my new dutch oven and it was fantastic. The hickory really added a great flavor, but I think the cinnamon was probably the best touch. I also added a miniature hershey bar to the mix instead of a squirt of chocolate. The sweetness of the cinnamon and chocolate complimented the spiciness of the rest of the ingredients very nicely.[p]I highly recommend this recipe![p]Here is the link for Kenny G's recipe:

[ul][li]Kenny G's recipe[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Mac in NC ,
    Ken was the first person that I called to get the correct approach. I am starting with that.
    Thanks for the heads up on Ro-Tel.
    R&J[p]

• RhumAndJerk,
    don't use the ro-tel , another example of why not would be...have you ever tried the luck's beans with onions already added in em...ugh ugh awful awful?

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Dave,[p]Click on Smokeydrew's post above. He was kind enough to post it for me. Definitely a winner!! Mac

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    RhumAndJerk, check out the link - another "Texas Chili" recipe - no beans and no frills - steak over ground beef, but I like your combination of chilies.[p]
    Good Luck!

[ul][li]Texas Chili[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk,[p]from a Longhorn, do a search on the Terlinqua Tx Chili cook-off. This cook-off is legendary in Texas. I can't remember the URL of the site but there is one out there that lists the winners and there recipes for the last 20+ years.

• RhumAndJerk
    The other Brett,
    Thanks for the link. I used some of there suggestions
    R&J