Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to make a homemade poultry rub

Options
BBQ BOY
BBQ BOY Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I am about to attempt the Mad Max turkey recipe and I realize I do not have any poultry rub. I don't think I am going to brave it tomorrow and go searching for some. Should a local grocery store have any decent rub or can I make a simple rub right here at home?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    What flavor are you trying to get? Better yet, what you got in the spice rack? Sage is a good addition, paprika, chile powder salt pepper. Here are a few ideas.

Rub, Poultry, Drunken Chicken, Sam Graham

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Tbs ground cumin
    1 Tbs chili powder
    1/2 Tbs ground allspice
    1/2 Tbs ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Procedure:
    1 Rub brined chicken down before cooking

Recipe Type
    Rub

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Sam Graham, 2007/02/18

Rub, Poultry, Perfect

INGREDIENTS:
    3/4 cup Hungarian paprika
    1/4 cup black pepper, freshly ground
    1/4 cup celery salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 Tbs onion powder
    2 Tbs dry mustard
    2 tsp cayenne
    2 Tbs zest from 3 to 4 lemons, dried and minced

Procedure:
    1 Mix ingredients in a bowl. Store in a tightly sealed jar in a cool dark place.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Poultry, Rub

Recipe Source
    Author: "Smoke and Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison

Source: BBQ List, Smoke & Spice
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is what I use. I also spatchcock and cook direct and high in the dome.
    Rub, Kona Coffee, Hungry Man
    INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup

salt

1/2 cup

brown sugar

1/2 cup

espresso ground (very fine) Kona coffee or instant espresso fine ground

1/4 cup

garlic powder

1/4 cup

ground black pepper

Procedure:

Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I like Poultry Perfect Rub from Bill and Cheryl Jamison's book Smoke n' Spice.

Poultry Perfect Rub
    3/4 cup Hungarian paprika (don't use Spanish, the type DOES make a difference)
    1/4 cup black pepper freshly ground
    1/4 cup celery salt
    1/4 cup sugar (use Sugar In The Raw or turbinado sugar instead)
    2 tablespoon onion powder (I coarse grind dried onion flakes instead)
    2 tablespoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoons cayenne (I cut 1/2 t and replaced it with 1/2 t of red pepper flakes)
    2 tablespoon zest from 3 to 4 lemons dried and minced

I use the coarser ingredients like the sugar, onion, and pepper flakes in my rubs because it gives a noticeable texture to your meats compared to plain ground spices.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    BBQ Boy,

If i recall, the MM turkey has an herb butter. If you can find "Herbes de Provence" at the store, that, plus a little salt, will work great. If not, then you can use dried rosemary, sage, thyme, +/- tarragon. Mix well with the softened butter and you will be good to go!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    From Dad's Kitchen:
    Making your own spice blends, makes "cents"!

I'm really into herbs and spices, cooking with both my nose and taste to try to fine tune a dish and I'm always looking for different tastes to play with.
    Not always able to find blends that I'm looking for or happy with added "stuff"; I have done some research into a few different blends that I can make at home, which is a lot cheaper then buying the "Gourmet Selections" anyway!
    To top it all off, the prep. time is only about 10 minutes per blend / rub with each blend making about 1/2 cup, or more, of mix and they contain a lot less salt then the commercial blends.
    Here are a few I have done with great success.

SPICE MIXES / RUBS

MIDDLE EASTERN
    1/4 C. curry powder
    1/4 C. paprika
    1/4 C. turmeric
    2 T. ground cumin
    2 T. ground coriander (cilantro)
    2 T. ground allspice
    1 T. ground black pepper
    1 T. salt

SOUTH AMERICAN
    36 dried De Arbol chilies
    12 dried Pasilla chilies
    (seeded and broken / chopped into very fine pieces, grind if possible)
    2 t. ground cinnamon
    1 t. ground coriander
    1/2 t. ground cumin

MARRAKECH
    3 T. paprika
    1 T. garlic powder
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. ground ginger
    2 t. salt
    1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
    1 t. ground red pepper

SANTA FE
    3 T. chili powder
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. celery seed
    1 T. black pepper
    2 t. garlic powder
    2 t. dried leaf oregano, crumbled
    1 t. salt

SPANISH TOWN
    2 T. prepared curry powder
    1 T. sugar
    1 t. ground black pepper
    1 T. dried leaf thyme, crumbled
    1 T. onion powder
    2 t. garlic powder
    1 t. salt
    1/2 t. ground red pepper (fine ground cayenne)

ORIENTAL FIVE SPICE
    2 T. ground cloves
    2 T. ground cinnamon
    2 T. ground fennel seed
    2 T. ground anise
    2 T. ground Szechwan pepper
    (black pepper, white pepper or even allspice, will work)

For each rub, mix all the ingredients well (a mortar and pestle are real handy to do any fine grinding) in a small bowl, then place in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store in cool, dark, dry place. These will be good for up to one year! Remember to shake, to mix, before using.

JB's TIPS

In general: These mixes can be used as a rub for meats before roasting / cooking (poultry, pork, beef, lamb) or sprinkle a small amount, to infuse flavor while cooking, into rice, vegetables or couscous.

More specifically:
    (Just a few ideas)
    Rub some Marrakech spice mixture over chicken cutlets or pork chops that have been lightly coated with oil, then brown or roast; figure on about 1 tablespoon of rub per pound of cutlets or chops, more or less to suit taste.
    The Santa Fe blend is delicious in any ground beef destined to become hamburgers, meat loaf or meatballs; a good rule of thumb is to use about 2 teaspoons of rub per pound of ground meat. It is also very good rubbed on a thick cut chop destined for the grill.
    The curry-based Spanish Town marries well with chicken, beef and pork. Rub the mixture over a boneless, rolled pork loin before grilling or roasting, or brighten the taste of chicken or beef stew by adding a teaspoon or two of the spice to onions or other vegetables being sautéed.
    Try a little South American mix the next time you make beans and rice. It will also add a new diminution to a veggie-rice dish.
    Use Five Spice in your stir fries, or other oriental entree's; a good rule of thumb is to use a teaspoon or less, it's very pungent.

De Arbol chilies are small, hot, red Mexican.
    Pasilla chilies are milder, darker peppers.
    Can't find them at the market? Try www.americanspice.com (888-502-8058)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    What about "Simon & Garfunkel" rub? You know, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme. I haven't tried it, but it sounds good, and you probably have all of the ingredients in your spice drawer.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/simon_and_garfunkel_rub.html

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Actually I have and do that….I call it Scarborough Fair Turkey (done it to a big roasting chicken too)!!
    Not only do the breasts get a good rub of the mix, I also stuff the cavity with fresh herb, oranges and lemons!
    Did one yesterday, it was a big hit.
    Here is what I do.

SCARBOROUGH FAIR ROAST TURKEY
    (Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme)
    North Portage Smoke-Shack
    From JB with inspiration from Pam Rundell

1 whole turkey
    1 lemon
    1 orange
    sprigs of fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme

The Rub:
    2 T. crushed, dried lemon (lemon zest will do)
    2 t. thyme leaves, rubbed
    1 t. rosemary leaves, rubbed
    1 t. rubbed sage
    1 t. parsley
    1 t. salt
    1 t. fresh ground pepper
    1 t. garlic powder

1)) Wash and trim the turkey, readying it for roasting. Salt and pepper the cavity.

2)) Loosen (do not cut or remove) the skin on the breast with you hand and then rub the "rub mixture" onto the meat. Pull the skin back in place.

3)) Put the fresh herbs into the cavity along with the lemon and orange. Both of these fruits need to either be pocked full of "fork" holes, or cut in ¼’s. Truss the legs as best as possible to close the cavity.

4)) Roast in the oven or indirect on the Egg until done. Basting occasionally with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and dry white wine adds another layer to the skin.