Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Country Cured Ham

wlegg
wlegg Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone cooked a country cured ham on the Green Egg?If so how did the ham turn out? Would you share your recipe?

Comments

• Country Ham to me means salt cured. Have never cooked a whole ham, we ususlly slice very thin cut thru the bone with a meat saw. Heat cast iron skillet throw few slices of C H in and cook till it looks right. Very salty, and the leavings are used for red eye gravy. Others will come aboard soon. Love C H . Smiles to you. :):):)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Likewise, the only country ham I have had was heavily salt and smoke cured, and required soaking before it could be used. I've only used it more as a side for fried eggs, or flavoring for beans.

A co-worker says that his family often gets a whole country ham for the holidays, and they soak it for three days, and then boil. So, I'm guessing that the Egg would not work for something already so dry and concentrated.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I haven't noticed much country ham talk here, hopefully you will get some good recommendations. They are a little salty for me and I haven't had one in about 20 years.

I can tell you the ones I've had first had the mold scrapped and scrubbed off, then soaked in water for several days (with daily changes). These hams have been cured in salt for months, so the soaking is critical. My granny did them in a low oven, so I would think that a low temp indirect cook in the Egg at 250-300 would work fine. (She also did them in a brown paper bag which would not be a good idea in the Egg).

Being from the South she used a soda pop baste, usually Dr Pepper. I'm thinking that brown sugar was sprinkled on, then the Dr was added. There was quite a bit in the pan and about once an hour she would spoon the juices back over the ham.

I would think that if you used flavor wood it should be very light because most country hams are finished off in real smoke houses and develop their own distinct flavor.

Be sure and keep us posted....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • My dad does one every year for Christmas on the wood stove, so I do not know why you could not do it on the egg. He soaks it for a couple of days (changing the water) then puts on the wood stove. I can smell it now :) Country ham, biscuits,oyster stew,eggs Christmas morning :)
  • I did one last year. It was great. Here's what you do:
    Bring the ham to the butcher and have him cut 3" off the hock. I also had him take the first inch off the large side. Save the hock for beans or soup.
    Soak the ham in cold water for 24 hours. Up to 48 hours if you have the time.
    Cook at 250 for 20 per pound.
    You can glaze it with whatever you want. If you search the internet, their are some really good recipes.

Here is a site I liked:
    http://www.countryhams.com/cookinginfo.htm

Here are some of my personal tips, take them or leave them:
    1) serve the ham cold or at room temp. It just tastes better. Think about it as you would prosciutto. Would warm or hot prosciutto taste better than cold?
    2) It has about an inch or two of fat on it. So be prepared to do them trimming.
    3) Don't let your spouse see you scrubbing off the mold. It would lead to complaints...trust me.
    4) If you bring it to the butcher, have him cut a few steaks off the large side for later. They keep in the fridge for darn near ever!

On a separate note IMHO the best ham you can buy is from AB Vannoy hams out of West Jefferson, NC. They are one of the few, if not last who do them the old fashion way. They do it the way the settlers did it, using only four ingredients, salt, sugar, mountain air, and time.

I really like this article as posted in the Charlotte Observer:
    http://www.catholic.org/hf/home/story.php?id=31067
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    We get country ham sliced 1/4-3/8 thick and fry it in a skillet for biscuits and and breakfast.