Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger steak - three ways - oh yeah!

Options
troutman
troutman Posts: 498
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our first hanger steaks ever. Thanks to Little Steven and Mad Max I got so much great advice that I couldn't make up my mind which way was best. So I decided to cook both steaks and do them three ways.

Trimmed them up using the great guide posted by Fidel, then butterflied three of the four pieces and smashed them to about 1/2 inch.

hangarSteakDec2009005.jpg

Marinated a couple of pieces in a simple teriyaki creation, and the others in the Alton Brown skirt steak recipe found here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/skirt-steak-recipe/index.html

Rubbed the non-smashed piece with Raising the Steaks, liberally.

hangarSteakDec2009006.jpg

One hour later, out of the marinade and on the counter to warm up. Fired up the Egg and stabilized at about 400 degrees, then onto the grill. Cooked the large piece to about 130 internal, then foiled and rested.

hangarSteakDec2009009.jpg

hangarSteakDec2009010.jpg

Cooked the thin pieces for just a couple of minutes on each side, then foiled and rested.

hangarSteakDec2009011.jpg

Sliced them across the grain, back into the foil with the juices, and shook them up. Served all of it with baked potatoes and grilled zucchini.

Sorry, no pictures of the final product as the kids and wife were hungry and armed with forks. Plus, the martinis made me forget.

Kids in bed, wife studying for an exam, and Elvis and I getting some hard-earned down time before the week starts. It was so freezing cold here in Arizona that I had to wear long sleeves with my shorts while grilling, then needed the blanket over my legs to warm up. Brrrr. :laugh: Life is good.

hangarSteakDec2009004.jpg

These were sublime (to steal my friend Judy's perfect term). The consensus was the Alton Brown marinade and the basic steak were the best. I will definitely do these as often as I can find them.

Comments