Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used Lump

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
FWIW.......

Tonight I cooked 3 pizza’s at 550 with the leftover scrap from the last few weeks. It was less than half a firebox full. Not a single piece was larger than a golfball, with most half that size. I dumped it in the empty egg, lit it, and put on the setter, feet, & stone. I didn’t sort it, wiggle it, or think much about it. When the cooking was done, I left the egg wide open to burn the rest of the lump, it held at 300 for 2 hours.

Comments

• thegrillster
    Options
    I have saved a couple of empty lump bags. I save my used lump just for cooks like you mentioned. If ever in doubt about the lump for a long cook I just bag it and start fresh. Kind of like getting a free bag of lump every so often. It starts faster and come up to temp faster.

Also for a low and slow I will pour the used lump over the new lump and use my electric element, mounding it up in the middle. This seems to insure a quick start and lights up the new lump as it burns.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    The only way used lump makes it out of my egg is through the ash grate. Unless I'm doing an overnight cook I just stir the coals and knock the ash through then top it off. Maybe I do it different then most but I almost never start a cook with charcoal that does not come up to the bottom of the fire ring.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Ron, When I cooked my first Mad Max turkey I cleaned out the firepit real good and poured in fresh lump and went on with my cook.

While cooking the turkey I thought I was getting low on lump so I slipped some used lump in and I felt like I did good because my extra lump already had the bad burned off.

I guess what I'm saying is I think it is not such a bad idea to have some used lump around just in case you need to extend a cook.

Now we will talk about the turkey cook later! Tim :blush:
  • Bacchus
    Options
    My point was that maybe to big a deal is made out of new vs used lump, getting high temps, sorting big vs small pieces, etc. I guess next time I have have extra used lump I will go lo/slo.
  • johnrezz
    johnrezz Posts: 120
    Options
    The only advantage I see in new lump or larger pieces of lump is for better air flow. I notice that if I have alot of used lump in the bottom and I do nothing with it I do not get proper airflow which leads to lower temps. I tend to push the old lump to the sides so the bottom grate is more exposed, I toss a couple of pieces of scrap hard wood (cabinet shop drops), and than dump a handfull of lit coal out of the chimney starter and it works great...
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey on top of that I spread my ashes on my garden spot. Not a lot but I will cover the area. I will also send off another soil sample next year. Tim
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Again, these pieces were tiny, and I paid no attention to the grate holes. I don't think any of that matters. As long as you keep you egg relatively clean, using larger pieces of lump on the bottom makes absolutely no difference in performance....IMHO.