Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread maker for making Pizza Dough

Options
fregg
fregg Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza making is good going really good,have to bump it up a little. Will a bread maker work ok to make the dough as I don't like the kneading process.
maybe it would be a good Christmas gift.
Does anyone use this for pizza dough?
thanks
Fregg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It will work, but if you are buying a piece of equipment I would recommend you look at stand mixers. Much more versatile than the bread machines.
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    Not sure of your budget but for pizza dough, I'd suggest checking into the Bosch Universal Plus or the Magic Mill Assistent from Electrolux Magic MIll DLX
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Why don't you check out the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day book? No kneading, fast process, and the extra dough can sit in your refrigerator for seven to ten days, I think it is, until you need to make another loaf or crust. I'm looking for a home for my bread machine; I don't need it anymore!
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    RiverRat,
    The dough can be frozen as well, can't it?
    I think it can...I still need to pick up that book one of these days.
    RicklesssssssssS
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Absolutely it can. In fact, when I was wrestling with an overly yeasty taste in my whole grain breads, Zoë suggested that I make the first batch without refrigerating it before baking and then freeze the rest to avoid its developing a sourdough flavor. I did find that substituting white whole wheat made a huge difference. I also read in a comment on Amazon that one person found Fleischman yeast to contribute much less of a yeasty taste than Red Star - the instant variety.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    If you plan on plunging seriously into breadmaking on the Egg (not just pizzas), then you might consider a Zojirushi bread machine. (King Arthur is offering free shipping on it: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/zojirushi-home-bakery-supreme-bread-machine )
    The machine will knead & proof, and you can stop it & take the dough out for shaping, freezing, etc. It will run about the same cost as a stand mixer, but it's more purpose-specific. On the other hand, a good stand mixer can be used for many other things (from mashed potatoes to meringue, cake batter, cookies, homemade marshmallows), and the Kitchen Aid version has attachments that allow you to grind, shred, roll pasta, etc.

If pizza were my only interest, I'd probably go with a stand mixer. Yes, you can make lovely no-knead pizza dough without a mixer, but if you want to use very-high-gluten flour for a NY-style crust (the kind you can toss), you're gonna need some mechanical kneading assistance.
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Or what about a Magimix? That has a dough paddle and a very powerful engine, and it's not just a one-trick pony. Mine grates and blends and chops and also has a juice extractor which I expect to put to use if my grapes ever produce well again!
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I vote for the stand mixer too. With a bread machine, you have to measure the ingredients and turn on the machine. It is really not that different with a stand mixer - the good ones do the kneading for you.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    In addition to bread machines and stand mixers excellent bread can be mad with a food processor. If you already have one I recommend the book " The Best Bread Ever" by Van Over.
    The limitation of a food processor is small batch size. The advantages are an truly good product at a fast time.
    TTFN WLL
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have both the bread machine that I can set just to dough and the 600 watt kitchen aid. I love my kitchen aid. I like to take a morning and just make dough and freeze it. it thaws fast and is ready to go when you are with a sink of warm water. by the time the egg is hot and the ingredients are ready the dough will toss. the nice thing with the mixer is the multiple purpose use.