Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first turkey and a ?

Options
Raxus
Raxus Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thank you Mad Max! The turkey turned out great! Everyone loved it, even my sister and her family (which is amazing) lol. Also made Giada's stuffing..with the pancetta and chestnut stuffing. Was heavenly. Another thanks to Mad Max for pointing that out to me.

The gravey turned out great. Only thing I have a question about is the wine taste. Not really our cup-o-tea. We're not wine drinkers and tho it was amazing on the turkey, it wasn't as big a hit in the gravey. Used chardoney if that makes any difference? Anyways was wondering what could we use instead of wine for the gravey. Loved the texture and taste..just not the winey bite it had.

171.jpg
Starting the bird up on the egg

178.jpg
At 1 hours in

188.jpg
Finished bird, ty Mad Max for an amazing bird!

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    You got some great color on that bird.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    that all looks great!! glad it worked out for you!! ..as far as the wine in the gravy.. . .it is completely optional .. . next time, simply skip that step and go straight to adding the drippings and then the stock. ..easy peasy!!!
  • Raxus
    Options
    Wife was REAL skepital about the gravey, till she tasted it! We'll definately do that next time Max. BTW my sister is about as picky a woman as you can get for trying something new. Well when she tasted the turkey, she had 3rds! Never seen her love my turkey as much as this one. She said she even loved it more than the ham she made. I was bout floored. Really had a wonderful Thanksgiving thanks to you Mad Max. Can't say thank you enough :)

Rax
  • Raxus
    Options
    Thanks Bob. Used a chunk and a half of apple wood. Turkey tasted as good or better than the pics show. Wonderful recipe!

Rax
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 61
    Options
    Nice job on the bird!

We added the wine to taste.
    We concluded that if we would have put in the whole second half of the bottle, it would have been too much (for us). Seems like we had about two inches of wine left in bottle.

Though the gravy was a hit, we had one person that didn't drink wine, thus didn't like the gravy.
    My wife and I agreed it was the best gravy to date for us.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Raxus, that's one of the best looking turkeys I've seen. Nice even color, very nice. Glad your first cook turned out great.
  • Raxus
    Options
    Wow thanks Fire. That means alot to a noobie like me! :woohoo:

Rax
  • Raxus
    Options
    I drink more wine than anyone in the family besides my son who is in the Navy now. So the gravey was great to me, other folks did not like the wine taste. Next time will try w/o wine like Max says and see how that tastes, but yes best damn gravey I have ever had. The kind of gravey that sticks to the ribs, if ya know what I mean :silly:

Rax
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    First time doing a bird I got to say you did a better job then I did when I did my first Bird. Good Eats :)
  • cdnewman
    Options
    Most chardonnay sold in US is from warmer climates and is aged in a lot of new oak. While this results in a buttery/vanilla style that many people enjoy drinking, these wines don't respond well to heat. Just like oak smoke can overwhelm a turkey, oaky wines can overwhelm a sauce.
    For cooking, I favor wines with acidity, citrus flavors and for spicy sauces, some residual sugar. Alsacian reislings (or Washington for domestic), sauvignon blanc and pinot gris would all work well in this recipe.
    You could also try champagne, prosecco or a hard cider at about 1/2 the volume you would use for wine.
    Or, as others mentioned, you could just skip that step.
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Raxus, Like cdnewman's recommendation, I used hard cider in place of the wine, my gal bought a bottle of wine, but since I couldn't find it, I just used some 5 year old hard cider I made.
    We all liked it and I will do it again.
    RicklessssssssS