Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical Turkey Setup Question

Options
SRGAU93
SRGAU93 Posts: 71
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on cooking a smallish (10-12 lb.) turkey on a large BGE, but want to try it on a vertical roaster. I did the madmax turkey last year & it was great, but want to change it up a bit this year. The inverted plate setter location is obvious, but how about the drip pan? Under the grid on the plate setter bird above on roaster or roaster in the pan on top of grid or no grid at all with everything on the plate setter (sitting on the feet)? Maybe it doesn't really matter?? I plan on putting some shallow liquid/veggie concoction in the pan. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    when we did them at fred's, we did inverted plate setter with drip pan right on the plate setter and turkey holder right in the drip pan....protected the bird just fine, but you won't have any decent drippings to speak of for gravey... . the birds are well protected however and the beer steams them very nicely so you end up with a great tasting, very moist bird that has a great color and crispy skin... . oh, go ahead and apply some butter or oil to the skin prior to applying rub to make sure the skin is nice and crispy if you want. . .like i said, the beer can birds we did at fred's two weeks ago were outstanding
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Thanks Max! I'm not familiar with the cook your referencing. Beer in the drip pan? Rub the bird with EVOO/butter & dry rub (I have most all of the dizzy pig rubs)? Cook temp. still at 325? Thanks.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    no, not beer in the drip pan. ..you put a beer can up the cavity of the bird. ...if you don't have a beer can holder. . ..go with one of those big fosters beer cans... they fit good and set the whole thing in a drip pan. ..yes, rub the bird with some evoo and/or butter. . .dizzy tsunami spin would be great on turkey as would 'shaking the tree' ... .roasting it at 350 would be a perfect temp. ..
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Not sure if my large vertical roaster (BGE brand) will accommodate a can of beer, if so, only a 12 oz. The large Foster's is a good idea, but seems like it would be unstable without a base? Still ice the breast before? Bast with anything during the cook? Thanks again Max!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    if you have a turkey stand, you are correct, it probably holds a regular 12oz can... . use that... the fosters can, then using the turkey's own legs as a 'tripod' is surprisingly stable....but go with the turkey stand if you have it.. . yes, still ice the breasts to insure they don't get overdone. . ..you really won't have anything to baste with going with this technique, unless you want to keep a separate pan of melted butter/rub/applejuice handy. .. thats up to you... . not required though.. .and if you did baste with butter, it would probably brown more than you want as a verticle bird is tough to 'tent'
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Thanks Max, can't wait to try it!
  • Michael B
    Options
    My set-up for a vertical turkey:

Plate setter, legs up….
    3 each 3" x 1.5" x 3/4 inch cherry blocks as spacers between the plate setter and the…
    Nordic Ware Chef’s Braiser Pan
    1/2 inch tall trivet in the Chef’s Pan…
    Spanek Vertical Turkey Roaster (Same as BGE roaster)

Read grate temp by pulling the dome thermometer out of the dome and carefully placing it between the dome and base, over one of the plate setter legs, when you close the lid.

I cooked a 22 pound turkey in a large egg with this set-up.
    The pan has sufficient space for the turkey _and_ all the fruit and spices you want.
    There was plenty of basting liquid in the pan and more than enough left over for the gravy.