Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trimming Dry Aged Beef: A Plea and Primer

Options
Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You've gone through all the hard work of aging (bagged or commando), don't be so quick to assume much of it needs to be tossed in the garbage.

I've ebeen looking into this stuff for years, and have found a couple suppliers near me (Julia Child's butcher, for one), and I trust them implicitly. They have been aging meat for at least 50 years, based on Julia's anecdotal evidence.

Anyway, it's not my opinion that trimming is verboten, it's really the actual tradition. Please give it a shot before you trim them to the point where they look like supermarket steaks.

Here's a primer on how I do it, which is based on how the two suppliers that I know do it.

I dry mine sans bag. The bags weren't available when I started doing this, and I have no reason to change. The bags do offer advantages over this method for the HOME ager, but this is about trimming. The esoterica only makes folks' eyes glaze over, so let's skip ahead to trimming....

the strip loin subprimal out of the fridge after 28 days.

onrack.jpg

Notice the near end of exposed flesh. I chunked off maybe half of it into steaks (for camping) before putting this thing into the fridge to age. This end was exposed for the entire period (28+ days). This is ALWAYS trimmed, because it is always thick, and dry and bark-like. Beyond jerky.

here is the subprimal chunked into steaks. notice the front piece is the 3/16" thick piece off the exposed end. this is sacrificial, and trimmed.

trimmed.jpg

here are the rest of the steaks.
before grilling, i trimmed off the fat to half of it's thickness. i didn't need it all, frankly. i love it, but if it is there i will eat it, and i don't need that much. there is no reason to trim it as far as quality goes, as it is superb. dense, flavorful, etc. i trimmed it only so that i would not become an even fatter b*stard than i already am.

here is a steak close up. note the right side is the underside (well, non-fat side). this depth is still less than the depth of drying as compared to the cut-flesh exposed ends. i leave this ON. yes, it is tougher, but softens greatly on the grill

closeup-1.jpg

i will trim my wife's steak to remove the underside, and the excess fat (but not all).

so, what to do with the trimmings? well. here's a pic of the end trimming on the grill with my lunch. it is entirely edible, there's no food safety issue. it IS dried. but what is jerky? dried beef. I ate the thing as the chef's treat while the main steak was cooking. the small tail end of this piece was too far gone and hit the trash.

steak (and end trimming at right) on the grill

on_the_fire-1.jpg

note that the steak shrinks minimally, and the fat tightens up, rather than becoming watery and floppy like a regular steak

on the plate, with my end-trimming at rear left.

platedwithbonus.jpg

which part of this was the part i was supposed to trim? i forget. even the tougher underside softened when grilled, and (as RRP says) is very much like a crust. yes, this bit was more leathery though. For guests? i'd probably take it off. but the flavor is better than the rest of the steak IMNSHO.

for comparison, these are 45 days aged steaks, purchased anywhere from 35 to 65 bucks a frigging steak. great stuff, but the price is why i dry age at home.

new york strip, 20 bucks a pound
NYstripraw.jpg

I will say... if i am buying an aged steak, it is always the rib eye, frankly. a strip steak, raw (supermarket, un aged) is a great steak off the egg, and what i eat 90% of the time. but the steak which benefits by far the most (even fishless backs me up on this i think) is the rib eye. that's where the payoff is.

here's a rib eye.
rawribeye.jpg

notice that when grilled it doesn't fall apart like a regular rib eye steak, it firms up, actually. and the amount of fat is in much better proportion to the meat. it's all there still, it's just the water is gone. more flavor, less floppy fat...

same steak, grilled
seared.jpg

another rib eye, almost a roast. aged 45 days. from a butcher. note that it is UNTRIMMED too.

holycow.jpg

the simplest thing to age at home is a small roast, for seven days or so. no need for the bags in this case. alton brown advises (after being vetted by lawyerly types) that simply uncovered in the lowest (back) portion of the fridge is fine. He adds that you can put it in a tupperware 'coffin' (pierced all over with holes) if you want to keep liquids or things from dropping on it as extra measure. but it is not required for food safety.

here's last year's (maybe year before?) christmas roast. five day dry-age.

Xfive-day-dry-age_prepped02.jpg

nothing but salt and pepper and garlic. is there a prettier roast? zero effort so far...

Xfive-day-dry-age_resting.jpg

no pics when serving from the first cook, but these are leftovers, reheated by searing the ends in a cast iron pan, then putting the CI and roast into the egg to warm up.

Xreheated_xmas_roast.jpg

note that because it only aged five days, the slices still have the large eye of fat (and the line of fat) internally, and the slices fall apart like the steaks typically do when unaged. this is absent in a 21-28 day aged roast. compare these slices to the rib eye steaks above that are aged much longer. they are solid and don't cleave apart.

Xleftovers_ready.jpg

aging only a week or so will give you the enzyme action (tenderizing and flavor changes), but you won't get the condensed beef flavor and dense fat that you do from drying. still worth it, and a good test for the beginner.

Comments

• CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Stripsteak,

Thanks for taking the time to write up that Dry Aging Primer. Your contributions are always inspiring to a newbie like me.

I'm going the sissy route and am going to try the drybag method on a Ribeye Sub-Primal, hopefully, this weekend. My plan is to try 28 days and I'll be sure to take all of your wisdom into account when trimming.

Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i would have taken the jerkey end piece and saved it for chili, why sacrifice it. your right, ribeye is the best
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Outstanding post
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Fantastic Post! I dry aged half of a ribeye primal a month or so back and will definitely do it a gain soon. This time with much less trimming. :laugh:

I am planning to cook Prime Rib for Christmas and was plannig t dry age it. How long should I plan to age it. I was planning on 28 days. Should I go less than that for prime rib?

Thanks
  • it's not sissy. i THOUGHT it was, but after seeing RRP's notes and emailing with him off line, i think he and i have determined that the bags slow the drying considerably. a normal aging fridge ( a commerical one) is humid. often as high as 80% humidity. this allows the meat to hang out exposed for literally weeks on end, aging while the enzymews go to work. drying is a goal, too, but the slower you dry, the longer you can age before reducing it too much.

i have found that rib eyes do well at home to about 28 days. strip to maybe 21 or a bit more if you are ok with it.

but with the bags or without, ALL food safety is achieved by maintaining proper temps.

some pros have asserted that you can't age at home because the professional places have different levels of humidity and sometimes use anti-bacterial lights.

the humidity is a factor of drying, not so much food safety. the exterior will quickly dry (inhospitable to bacteria). the lights are needed in larger commercial concerns because they age continually, year after year, and cultures can develop. the home ager does not need anti-bacterial lights. many butchers don't use them, and they have been aging beef long before the lights came about. extra safety, but that's for doing hundreds of subprimals in a continuous operation where the amount of bacteria the meat is (potentially) exposed to is exponentially higher. like grinding at home versus a supermarket grinder. one of them is far more likely to be exposed to higher amounts of bacteria
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Kudos to the author...great post...
  • i dry aged my christmas roast.

here's where there's a difference between "for me" and "for others" rears it's head.

will your mother-in-law blanch when she sees the aged roast sitting on the counter before it goes in the oven? hahaha

the other concern is that at 28 days, you will have those "jerky-like" surface at the cut ends. those should come off. you'll see on my five day roast that i didn't bother, as they didn't dry too much in five days.

you don't want to serve a guest an overly dried end piece, and yet everyone will WANT and end piece.

i think for a roast, i might dare go 14 days.

keep in mind that i grew up in a house where we try EVERYTHING. dad's rule is 'if there is something on a menu you haven't had, that's what you get'. still, my brother pronounced a 28-day aged steak as "disgusting" (looks, taste, smell, etc.).

if your guests are foodies, show them your 21 (maybe 28) day aged christmas roast, and talk at dinner about how you did it. they'll love it.

if aunt mildred is coming over, and the 12 year old nieces and nephews are going to be looking at their uncle (you) like he's crazier than ever for serving some weeks-old roast, then , maybe dial back to a week or ten days.
  • "you're right" he says.

gonna print that on a tee shirt.

have you been back to the meathouse? i haven't been up in a while. i hope they are surviving the recession. wife said last time she was up they didn't have the aged stuff out. i gasped. she asked, and they told her it was in back.

looks like the yuppies in windham have pulled back on their purse strings
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    was in there a couple weeks, was looking for something quick and cheap to eat, somehow ended up with a ten dollar bottle of beer and a 21 dollar bottle of feet or fete, some kinda wine i guess, lady was pouring wine and i must have had too many samples. :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    I know that, Stike, it was just tongue-in-cheek.

I have to admit, that I really decided to take the plunge when RRP posted his success with the foodsaver sealing method.

I homebrew, as well, and used to worry about the beer getting contaminated and ruining all that hard work. Chatting with a brewer about a brew that I left in the fermenter for wayyyyyy to long, he set me straight. The CO2 produced during the fermentation process, being heavier than air settles down like a blanket over that beer. He asked if I had moved my carboy around. My answer was no and he said "What are you waiting for? Rack that thing, condition it and bring me some!"

That was one of the best IPA's I had brewed up to that point.

Nature, tempered with a little bit of science, is a beautiful thing.

Joe
  • highpress
    Options
    Good info and pics, thanks SS. I followed your advice and did not trim the exterior of my steaks. Although i'm hoping i can cook them better next time becuase honestly i don't think i did a good job the first time. Anyways, thanks again for the info and all the tips and advice.
  • aside from his carbon dioxide lore...

the reason jimmy carter removed the prohibition agains t brewing beer at home was because nothing that can kill you can live in beer.

distilling at home is another thing. you can kill yourself trying to distill. but beer kills all microbes. that's the ONLY reason anyone brewed in the first place. no one made beer because it tasted good. they made it to find a use for leftover grain, to make water potable (beer is safe to drink versus open puddles with bacteria). it also keeps...

beer is a fascinating thing. beer and bread, some argue they are the things which brought about civilization. once we started farming, we stayed in place. and when we stayed in place, we gained culture and civilization. and we stayed in place to make beer and bread.
  • i can't get out of there for under a hundred bucks a grocery bag. no kidding.

i go in with blinders on. but my wife takes stuff off the shelf and puts it in the basket as i am jawing with the butcher.
  • medium high heat (say 650) for only as much sear as you like.

dry aged stuff is perfect for Trex or hot tubbing. you do NOT want to try to cook these through to temperature. a two-stage cook is best
  • thanks gents (vidalia and frank)
  • ranger ray
    Options
    thank you so much for the aging primer... well done! rr
  • ranger ray
    Options
    how did we survive before the invention of the product that has been so widely touted on here recently???? rr
  • by just tossing it in the fridge uncovered (just not as potentially long, i guess). you don't need to use bags. just gives you more options i guess
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Great pictorial. Thanks for the info.
  • Never Summer
    Options
    My husband used to work at a restaurant where all their beef was aged and he's always raved about it. I have to give this a try.

Thanks for all the info and the pictures, too.

Patty
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    This is the best post I have seen yet on dry ageing beef. I read all post related to ageing beef as I am trying to get up the stones to try it myself. My biggest fear is doing something wrong and getting us all sick. Very informative and the visual aids are great too. Thanks :)
  • here's my standard post on the matter. i have been on a "content" hiatus. maybe time to post this again.

see below, an old post:

clickez vous here:>> stike's dry age process and basics ca. 2006

again, no shame in the dry bags, i just am too cheap to buy equipment and bags. i only go about 28 days max, too
  • have fun. watch your temps
  • seven days is a decent start. the big difference doesn't really kick in til day 21 or so though.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I may end up being too chicken to ride bare back on the first attempt and try the dry bag process. Like you I intend to pick the butchers brain as well. I am not a bacteria phobe but also know that there have to be some dangers if it is done wrong. I am gaining confidence with the recent ageing post as well as other sources.
  • guess what i'm saying though is you aren't any safer as far as bacteria goes if it is in a bag or out.

temps temps temps.

the bags give you protection against picking up odors, and if you wanted to go to 45 days your meat would be less dried than unwrapped. but you will puke your guts out whether it's wrapped or not if you do it wrong, and doing it wrong means letting it contact anything else (which would keep the surface wet and unable to dry), and letting temps go off track.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Got cha. I am anxious to get one started. The refer I intend to do this in is our garage fridge which only holds bottled and canned beverages. There is plenty of room for it to stay clear and have its own shelf. It doesn't get opened much until the weekends and very little then so keeping the temps constant is not a problem.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Absolutely fascinating post! Thanks so much.

Question, as a newby, if I try aging a rib roast (you show a 5-day) will it benefit from a longer age, or is 5 days the target? Do you see additional benefit the longer it goes? Also, uncovered in fridge, do you have any odor issues with longer aging?

Thanks again. Your input in this post is why I love this forum :) .
  • you can't really cause any temp issues even in a regular fridge. meat is mostly water, and you can't screw up temps even if you have a teenager standing there trying to figure out what to eat. did you see the post from long ago about how to age (one way, anyway_?

i have a check into RRP to see if the bags have any sort of anti-bacterial coating or anything. i have said they don't really offer any 'bonus' against bacteria, but if they have an anti-bacterial coating, that would be another story.

the partial vacuum is a help against aerobic bacteria, but anaerobic bacteria would still be an issue. most bacteria involved in foodborne illness can reproduce in either oxygen or no-ox environments. salmonella, and staphylococcus are two that can live either in partial vacuum or in oxygen environments.

but if the bags are treated with anti-bacterials, that would be another plus for some folks.

i'd still assert, though, that the very act of keeping the surface dry and temps cold is in itself anti-bacterial
  • longer is always better, but you will get some benefits from 5 days or so. frankly, if it's your first time, you might not notice an improvement. it's pretty subtle.

nothing subtle about 28+ days.

picking up odors is the concern, rather than the meat stinking up your fridge. done correctly, the meat will have a slight metallic, maybe gamey, acid-smell on close inspection, but it won't stink. it will probably give a little odor to the air in your fridge, yeah. if your wife is skittish, use another fridge. but the correct smell doesn't indicate danger, it indicates success.

if you ever have opened a package of brown steak or hamburger, you will get a whiff of that enzyme smell. most folks throw out brown meat. too bad. better than fresh in my opinion. the brown isn't dangerous, it's the result of aging . plastic-wrapped supermarket beef is wrapped in plastic that allows the oxygen thru. that makes it red initially, which is what the buyers want to see. that oxygen bites the butcher on the *ss though, because it will turn the meat brown after a while. no loss in quality, just not "pretty". some suppliers now package off-site in deep plastic trays, slightly pressurized. these are filled with carbon monoxide and will keep beef pretty much longer. same beef, no safer. just lobger shelf life as far as sales goes (looks, not quality)