Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corian cutting boards

Options
ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife gave me some beautiful handcrafted Corian cutting boards as a birthday gift, but I'm worried that they are too hard and will dull my knives.

I did some Googling and there's plenty out there to suggest that this may be true, but there are also some who say the concern is overblown, that Corian really isn't much harder than a good hardwood cutting board.

I have tried them, and the feel they have when cutting makes me a little nervous. The knives definitely leave a mark in the surface, though perhaps not as much as with wood or plastic.

I know we have some good knife experts here on the forum. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Comments

• BoardSMITH
    Options
    You are indeed correct to worry about your knives. Corian is rock hard and will roll the edges quicker than plastic and almost as quickly as glass. Corian will chip when cut on and if you drop it to a hard floor it will break. Good stuff for a counter top where it will remain stationary.

Wooden cutting boards are not nearly as hard and are much easier on good knife edges.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    When you use a wooden cutting board the knife actually slices into the wood and this protects the edge of the blade. If you use any of the "attractive" cutting boards like glass or corian or stainless or hard plastic or anything else they dream up it will all but ruin your knives. It won't ruin them per say but you will forever be reforming the edge and not just sharpening.

You can certaily use the Corian boards as serving boards. I thik using cutting boards for serving is becoming a lost art.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I use one for cleaning fish and wild game. Almost never cutting against the board. They sure clean-up nice. Way better than a cheesy plywood cleaning station you see at some
    boat launches.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i have a few as my friend owns a counter top cabinet business and he turns the sink cut outs in to cutting boards .. they make great work surfaces for dough or setting a hot or dirty pot on and i put them in the dishwasher i do not use them as cutting boards even for my cheap knives..
    my japanese knives are only used on the boardsmith board,
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Reluctantly I'll relegate these to serving board duty and stick with the wood for cutting, carving and chopping.

Jack