Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Chimnea fuel

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you burn in your egg chimnea or other chimneas? How much is the egg chimnea?

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Scott Borders,
    Regular firewood. Sometime old bills, but that really creates a ton of ash.[p]The Chiminea is a fireplace first and a grill second. They are very nice on a cool summer eve.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Scott Borders,
    Thanks for asking that question. I really didn't know what to burn in it. Also, some of the Chimneas seem to be made of clay, not ceramic. Are these things safe? I would hate to burn my wood deck because the Chimnea collapsed with a full load of hot coals.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Scott Borders,
    We burn limbs that we collect out of our yard. We just bought ours last fall and paid 125 for the chimnea and 63 for the nest.[p]~nikki

• Scott Borders,[p]The solution to your problem is behind most major department stores. Load about two of those pallets that they received shippments on and bring them home. Now before you get all excited about the nails hear me out. Take your skill saw and run if along the edge of the 2x4's that have all the nails in them and let the cross slats in between the 2x4's fall to the ground. The slats are Oak or some other hardwood and about 12" in length. Just right for the chimnea and burn great. Oh, as for those boards that have all the nails in them, put them by the street and the man that passes on Tuesday and Friday mornings will haul them off for you.

• LAD,
    Killer and TIMELY idea. I just put down 9 pallets of sod-OH my achin' back. I was wondering if my pallets would be picked. I've already cut them in half, I'll just finish em off.

• Coleslaw
    Options
    Scott Borders,
    A couple of things about the chiminea. One, don't leave it out in extremely cold weather. We live in Michigan, and left ours out last year. There are now cracks everywhere, and it will probably be on the deck before spring.
    See if there is a sawmill around, they usually have lots of slabwood left over that you can get for cheap (5 bucks a pickup load). It is in varying thickness, which is helpful for starters

• coleslaw,
    The good news is, in Tampa, we dont have extreme cold weather. The bad news is, we dont get "cool summer nights" mentioned below. We get to use ours from October to March.
    Ours is clay, and I got kind of excited when I saw the BGE made one. Is yours clay or a BGE. Sorry yours is toast.