Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ II cat5 cable and usb adapters

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done this?

As long as we are talking CyberQ II today. I am considering making a cat5 cable to go from point A (the egg w/cyberq II) and the usb cable and adapter for cat5 to usb cable on the cyberQ II controler.

Then point B my computer room/man cave and that would be cat5 adapter to usb in the computer.

I will run this cat5 cable thru the finished basement then under the house and outside for about 40 feet.

Is there a way this will work. Tim

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    there are instuctions for doing this in the documentation on the cyberq disc. i am not a tech but do know that usb is limited to 15feet.. my guess is the usb modem should be near the egg as well ... hopefully someone will know if there are distance limits on cat5
    after you check the domumetation provided you can always email them bbq bob is a big help!!!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I don't know about the USB part but cat5 will work 300' or more. It won't pass a certification test but I have had it work well over 300' on a network.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Tim, why not just do it wireless?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    That may be something I should look into. As it may turn out I may be going with a wireless router for my internet in the house.

I have a desktop computer that will require a wireless eithernet card and I laptop computer that will also require a wireless eithernet card. Add the wireless router and then a wireless usb hub. Now I don't know about all this stuff but I heard the wireless usb hub and the wireless router may have some conflicts.

These are some of the things that I am trying to sort out with money as a factor as well.

I was trying to see if I can get by cheep and try to make a glorified usb cable.

do tell if you know what I could do... Thanks,Tim
  • Griller
    Options
    What type of wireless gear for the cyberQ-II have been most popular?
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Tim,

Most wireless routers have 4+ Ethernet ports, as well as wireless capability. You generally can mix and match connections to the router.

I haven't taken the plunge into draft devices, but just wanted to chime in. Keep us posted on your setup. I am inclined towards the stoker because of its flexibility, but have been fooling around with computers since before the PC. I guess I'm just a bit of a sucker for challenge.

Joe
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    griller, I have an install CD with the software to run on Windows and pdf files showing a usb direct connection and also using a wireless hub or usb and a wireless two computer via interenet connection.

I would not mind a hard wire connection to my desktop CPU in my basement but, I think it may be somewhat limited as to how long the cable can be and I may have to go approx. 30 some feet. Tim
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    100 meters is the limit for cat5
    Go for it.
    E