Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rosemary wood?

Options
Beernuts
Beernuts Posts: 71
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so my wifes birthday is next month, and she loves lamb - I was thinking about smoking a leg of lamb for her dinner - I read somewhere awhile back about someone smoking lamb with rosemary wood, which sounds wonderful

but heres the rub (so to speak) - I have never seen anyone sell rosemary wood or chips - anyone cooked with this? any ideas where to buy some either on line or in the greater metro atlanta area?

Thanks!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    rosemary is a bush so you can only get twigs no wood..

here is a picture of one of mine

2009-10-14002.jpg

so if you were going to smoke with it it would be eggspensive so if you want something that involves lamb and rosemary i would personally do this:::: enjoy

Lamb, Chops, Loin, W/Rosemary

1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    2 Tbs dried rosemary
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    12 (6 oz.) Loin Lamb Chops, about 1 1/2 inches thick
    Vegetable oil cooking spray
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 Combine olive oil, vinegar, rosemary, and garlic in a small bowl. Put the chops in a shallow glass or ceramic dish and add the marinade, turning the chops several times to coat. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Return the chops to room temperature before grilling.
    2 Prepare a charcoal or gas grill. Lightly spray the grill rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. The coals should be moderately hot to hot.
    3 Grill the chops for about 6 to 8 minutes on each side for medium-rare lamb, or until cooked to desired degree of doneness. Season with salt and pepper and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 30 hours

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: Lobel's, 07/01/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Rosemary wood is an acquired event. I have been growing it for many years as Bente mentioned. Here is one way to do a leg of lamb. If you do not find a source send me a usps addy and I will see what we can do for the pretty woman.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=626840&catid=1
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    You can toss on some sprigs of rosemary to produce smoke for the cook. You won't find chunks or chips. The bigger and older the bush, of course, the woodier the branches become, so if you know someone who grows rosemary, you might snag some older branches from them. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Wasn't Rosemary Wood President Clinton's secretary, or something like that.

She wouldn't make good smoke :ermm:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    That is not a good place to store your mapp torch!!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Beernuts,

Italian specialty markets often sell dried rosemary branches. If you have the opportunity to try olive wood it is excellent with lamb. Steven Raichlen markets the olive.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Options
    I've got an older rosemary bush in my yard that needs to be cut back. The largest branches are probably 1/2 inch diameter with most smaller than that. I'll save them for you if you like. It should be enough for a cook or two considering the strong flavor of rosemary. Just let me know.
  • faithie999
    Options
    Good memory.
    Rosemary Woods, of "18 minutes of silence" fame.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    where else would you store it :blink: :huh: :whistle:;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beernuts
    Options
    thanks all - probably says enough that I do not know enough about Rosemary to realize how unlikely all of this is!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    but that was in connection with Nixon's Watergate. Not Clinton :P
    canuckland