Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size brisket?

Options
elizabean
elizabean Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the largest size brisket I can cook on my large egg? I would like to cook a whole brisket, not just the flat.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01859a.jpg

Unless you want to drape it over something for several hours until it shrinks, a 17" one is the largest you can smoke..... As far as weight goes, that size will come in around 13 pounds. Make sure you take a tape measure (or a 17" piece of kitchen string) to the market.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i havent done too many whole packers, but you can scrunch a brisket in if its too long. line the two ends with foil and just push scrunch it in so the foil is between the brisket and the sides of the egg. it will shrink down during the cook. ive seen cooks where people are draping it over a can or rib rack etc and i dont see thats needed unless your really looking for presentation in a competiton or something. line the hinge side, thick end goes towards the hinge side where the egg is hotter, thin side goes to the handle side where the egg is cooler. you want the brisket faced front to back, not side to side
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • elizabean
    Options
    exactly what i was looking for. thanks for the quick response. i love that people are checking out the forum at 8:30 in the morning.
  • elizabean
    Options
    thirdeye, how long will it take to cook a 13 pound brisket?
  • MrMista
    Options
    Why did you line the two ends of the grate like that? Is that something that I need to do? (sorry to bump an old post, found it via Google and I've never seen a egg grate loaded like that).
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Not sure if thirdeye checks this forum, but I believe the foil is there to protect the meat that is hanging over the indirect piece (plate setter).  If you have a big piece of meat that hangs over it is a good idea to protect it so that some of the meat isn't in the direct heat.  You can also accomplish this using foil or foil pans sitting on the plate setter.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Another way to measure something when you don't have a tape measure is to remember that a dollar bill is 6 1/8 inches long by 2.5 inches wide.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• clintmiller
    Options
    I routinely cook 15 lb briskets on my large. I've gone as big as 18 and could likely go bigger. To make them fit, I drape them over a v-rack and scrunch them up a bit. Cooking times always seem variable, anywhere from 14-20 hours.