Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prep for 1st butt

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
doing my first long cook friday night to tailgate Sat. Doing a butt Lump tio firebox ring with hickory chunks mixed in, 250 dome temp, platesetter legs up coke classic in drip pan, and Bad Byron's butt rub on rack fat side down. I'm kinda nervous about the overnighter, have I forgotten anything, or any other suggestions? Oh, yeah pull at 195-200.

Ken

Comments

• popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    you seem to be on the right road, good cook to you. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know why you need the Coke. Other than that, sounds good to me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    use the coke to mix a drink with it is only going to steam then after the water is gone it will burn... so just put the drip pan in dry, you proabably don't need the rack you can use it if you want but your egg has a rack in it :laugh: everything else sounds about right...

watch that bad byron's stuff it is a little salty for me

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• jpEGG
    jpEGG Posts: 61
    Options
    For me, the critical thing has been to get the dome stabilized at 250 for about an hour before the butt goes on. Makes for a much easier overnight, one where you're not chasing temps all over the place.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    save the coke for if you need liquid to reheat and the only peeking should be at the thermometers.
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Ok advice taken will introduce the coke to my friend Jack and leave the lid down!

Ken
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never used Bad Byron's, but have heard it's salty. I always use my home brew and have yet to be disappointed...

1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Oh, and I've always done fat cap up, but I seem to be in the minority around these parts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I use Bad Byrons butt rub alot and i really like it. I doesnt seem to be overly salty to me

I Love those bad byrons butt rub peanuts too :)

Sounds like your headed in the right direction just make sure that egg is stabelized at 250 for an hour or more
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    After all the sound advice, It sounds like you are on the right track. Be sure to charge up your camera.....we want pictures. :laugh:

Oh yeah, since you are doing an all nighter, fashion yourself a wiggle rod just in case. I always wiggle a few hours into a long cook, or anytime the fire gets fussy.

Wigglerod3.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Yea, I have used Bad Byron's in my pre-egg days abnd we really like it, I do want to try some Dizzy pig's though it seems quite popular to. I might just be a seasoning rub addict :laugh:
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Use the Bad Byrons Butt Rub it is great stuff, i put it on everything. i let my butt set for several hrs in the ref. after the rub is applied before putting it on the BGE. nothing in the drip pan.

Good Luck