Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella Learnin'

Options
Loco Lobo
Loco Lobo Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Using the naked whiz recipe.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm

Modified the recipe by adding zuke's and yellow squash; really good if you like them. Updated the spices by adding saffron, One tbl of smoked paprika and one tbl of cumin into the broth. Adds a nice flavor.

When you think the rice is done, let it go a little longer. This dish was good but did not go long enough to get a thick crunchy rice build up on the bottom.

008.jpg

Comments

• Magnus Viridis Ovum
    Options
    Very Nice! What size pan is that?

My 13" paella pans and Bomba rice just arrived from La Tienda. I plan on making my first batch on the egg tomorrow night.
  • Loco Lobo
    Options
    It was a gift and a 15 inch pan. Too big for my large egg so, I cut off one handle.

Took a hack saw and cut off the tops of the rivets. Then backed up the internal part of the pan on a vice and hammered the rivet back closed.

Another secret if you like artichoke hearts is put them into the paella. Wonderful. Costco has big jars packed in water, they really absorb the smoke.

I've tried cooking with plate setter in place but could not get temperature up well. So be careful if you put the pan directly over the fire. without the plate setter, I believe the pan temperature is higher than the dome really notes. I cooked at 300 dome without plate setter.

Also, the times to cook the vegie's are a little long for my liking. We like ours crip rather than soggy. So I cut the vegie cooking time in half. They cook for an additional 20 minutes or so with the rice so they are plenty cooked by the end. Also, get the broth at a simmer on the stove then there is no reheating time after you put it on the rice. Once it goes in an all is in place, don't stir the rice.

Best of luck to you. I did a traditional one with rabbit, but chicken thigh's are just as good.

Last tip, my daughter found chicken chorizo at Whole Foods. It was quite tasty. Pulled the meat out of the skin and then half cooked it before breaking it into meatball size chunks. Mmmm
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Everytime I see this I think I have got to try this. Looks really good
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    What else did you put in the dish,I see the shrimp,veggies,and is that beans or sausage?

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS''

DALE

176.jpg
  • Loco Lobo
    Options
    That chicken chorizo sausage and boneless chicken thigh's. I've also dropped in scallops at the end before.

The garbanzo beans also create a good taste.
  • Loco Lobo
    Options
    You should go for it. I'm kind of a closet perfectionist. There is always something I could have done better on any bbq or smoke.

Each time I've done this it was perfect, could not complain. "shut my mouth" :woohoo:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nice looking meal. Paella lets many flavors come together. Hewr is one I did for throwdown #2.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=715388&catid=1
  • Loco Lobo
    Options
    Wow, that's a work of art. Beautiful and I bet great.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Thanks, drop me your email and I will send the blow by blow project. too much to post.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    From one Loco to another :woohoo: , that is an interesting dish.
    Paella is not even on my radar as of yet, but sure looks good!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Magnus Viridis Ovum
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do love artichokes and glad I added them.

I went direct but used the fire ring from my second large egg to raise the grate. (I stacked two fire rings). That certainly helped with controlling the heat.

Mine came out very good in spite of the fact I forgot to add the chorizo.