Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Officer. . you don\'t understand!

Options
Riley
Riley Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Officer, I know it looks like a nuclear device on my back porch, but I can assure you it is merely a PORK BOMB!!! :laugh:

csc0861.jpg

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    It really is THE BOMB :blush: The food I Know is the BOMB FOR SURE :lol:
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Options
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Looking forward to the explosion of wonderful pork and pork fat.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :huh: :unsure: :ermm:
  • Sundazes
    Options
    Sir back slowly away from the device with your hands in the air
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've never seen anyone hang the guru from the handle....that's pretty cool.

FYI, I believe the BBQ Guru folks warn against wrapping foil around the probes. Those probes are rated to high temps, so no need to protect them, and they clean up fine (I use a clorox wipe for mine to disinfect and clean off the grease/grime).
  • Riley
    Options
    Hey thanks for the heads up Rod. I knew they looked a lot higher quality than my old wireless thermometer ones, but I'm paranoid.

Not wrapping them would make a tighter lid seal.

I hung it on the handle just so I could see the temp until I went to bed, and then I put it on a table pointed toward my bedroom window for dark-thirty recon. It's my first cook with it, so I was still anxious. But this morning, I wake up, and it's dead on. I LOVE it!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I read somewhere that completely wrapping in foil will increase the heat inside the foil tube to hotter than the ambient heat. Don't know if that's true or not, but it stopped me from foiling my wires. If you just provide a shield between the lump and the wire you will be OK - like a platesetter leg, or a piece of foil laid on the grid between the wire and the lump. It works for me with both the Guru product and my Maverick probes. I haven't "toasted" a wire since I started doing that.

Riley - What time should we plan on being there for the pulling ?

I love that picture and saved it with my collection of Egg pics. !
  • Riley
    Options
    Well that's a good question. :laugh:

Little Boy is at 164 right now, and I don't know what Fat Man is doing. I didn't bother with a probe in the big one b/c I'm hoping the "ramp" feature will kick in once the little one gets close, and hopefully they'll both get done by the time I get out of the office.

You think that strategy will work? It's my first time with the Guru, so I'm not sure how well ramp mode works.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    When you toasted your wires how did the guru act? I have been having trouble with mine and I suspect I toasted a wire on the grid side
    Gerry
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I will have to confiscate that bomb and everything inside along with any rolls or bbq sauce.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • rumpunch
    Options
    Impressive - I especially like the LED pad.

What kind of pad are you using underneath your nest? I'll need one this winter when we move the egg closer to our back door.
    Thanks!
  • Riley
    Options
    That pad I got from Lowe's I think. It's made for grills, and it's some type of concrete so it's heat resistant. My porch is covered, and that's where my Egg stays.

The LED pad you see is a DigiQ II from http://thebbqguru.com/.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Now I have not read the thread but I have to say I did LMAO at the picture and caption.

But....................you have a point.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    Options
    I'd like to buy one, however, I heard they don't work to well with the Mac's :(

Boomer...