Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Refinishing Project

NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Well, I posted about this on the main forum a few weeks ago, but have finally started the project.

Basically, this is the Cypress, BGE table for a large which I orginally finished with spar-urathane. Not really sure what happened, but after sitting outside (sometimes covered, sometimes not), the finish started to look really bad.

Here are pics of what I started with and where I'm at now....let me know what you think and/or if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Sorry for the pic quality....just took some quick ones with the iPhone.

Photo1.jpg

Photo2-1.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,666
    what did you decide to do with it, oil, let it grey, revarnish it?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NoleC5
    Well, I haven't really decided yet....

I sanded yesterday with 60 grit (all that I had)...so I still have a ways to go to get it all cleaned up (80, 120).

After describing my initial steps to a friend...I think I've determined that I didn't do a very good job applying the spar-urethane the first go around. I think I ended up sanding too much in-between coats and probably ended up sanding away much of the layers I had applied. I had never done anything like this, so it was a relatively inexpensive learning experience.

With that said...I'm leaning towards sanding all of the "black" areas away (mostly done)...bring finish back up to 120, maybe 220....and then re-applying the spar-urethane...but will try and sand correctly in-between coats.

Thoughts?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,666
    might be an idea to warm it up first and maybe even thin the first coat with a thinner so that it sinks into the wood deeper on the first coat.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    It looks like moisture might have seeped in through the cut ends. You might want to give them e few extra coats.

Also try just roughing it up with steel wool between coats.
  • NoleC5
    Good idea on the steel wool...another friend suggested that to me yesterday as well.

Where were all the friends when I did this the first go around! :laugh:
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Don't forget to Tack rag it after steel wooling
  • NoleC5
    Sounds like the Tack rag might have been the only thing I did right the first go around! :pinch: But hey.....live and learn, right! B)
  • You really have a great looking table! Don't you think it was worth the work? I'm still a big fan of the oil, but done properly and with patience the varnish will also look great and should last at least several years.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Use 220 grit only, all you want to do is smooth the varnish surface for the next coat. After sanding wipe the surface with a tack cloth [a rag soaked in mineral spirits works just fine] and allow to dry. Apply at least three coats, preferably five or six. The first coat or two can be thinned with a SMALL amount of mineral spirits for better penetration into the wood. No more than an ounce/pint. Final coat should require little or no sanding. Serious spills, stains, etc. can be sanded away and spot treated with a little varnish if you have a five or six coat base. Good Luck!! B)
    Capt. Frank
  • Sounds like you are getting sound advice. If you really wanted to get rid of the dark spots, it is a common problem that people with wooden boats run into. Truth is, it could be difficult to get rid of, even if you feel it is all gone, it could be growing still, so if you finish over it, there is a good chance the dark spots may return. Possibly a diluted bleach wash could help? May want to research a bit prior to varnishing. I think it'll look great when you are all done!

JM
  • NoleC5
    Hi JM....

Well....I sanded from 60 to 80 to 120 and to 220. There were still a few black spots left....tried the bleach route but it didn't seem to make much difference.

So, I decided to go ahead and try a coat of the spar urethane.....this seems to have made the dark spots more noticeable and doesn't seem near as "shinny" as I remember it the first go around. But, this is only one coat.

If the black stuff is left under there, I guess there isn't much I can do about it and it will just happen again, I guess??