Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast Recipes & Methods - Any suggestions?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's Thursday afternoon and I have a 5lb boneless rib roast in the fridge for a Saturday cook. Trying to impress the in-laws on their first visit to see the latest additions to our family - The BGE & the BBQ Guru. [p]Anybody have a good recipe and/or cook method they'd like to share? [p]I'm tentatively planning slow, indirect, v-rack, & drip pan. But, as for the rest of the detail - I'm all ears.[p]Thanks in advance![p]Skip

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Skip,
    I did a pork rib roast a few weeks ago. If you did nothing but a little olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh pepper, you'll impress them.[p]toss a bit of your choice of wood on there for a little bit of smoke.[p]but i think 'slow' may not be the way to go. 350-375 seems right for a roast, i don't know how this cut would perform as a lo-and-slo. you might do a high temp sear, say 450-500, then back the egg down to finish out the roasting at 350.[p]one thing the egg cured me of was thinking i had to add-add-add to a recipe to make food interesting. the simplest things lately have yielded the most impressive results.[p]good luck. it is bound to win them over. i am considering prime rib for christmas, but i'm disappointed because it looks like christmas eve dinner and christmas dinner the next day will be at a non-egger's house....[p]almost worth inviting evreyone over OUR place.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Skip,[p]Here's a link to how we do ours...low and slow has always been successful for us as prime rib is usually fairly fatty and not as lean as something like tenderloin. We've used "Kevi's King of the Roasts" recipe (posted by Stogie) multiple times, and it has always turned out wonderfully...[p]Good luck with your cook and let us know how it turns out...[p]QBabe
    :~)[p]prime-rib-slices.jpg

[ul][li]Kevi's King of the Roasts Prime Rib by Stogie[/ul]
  • Skip,
    Here's one perfect for prime rib, rib roasts and beef tenderloin. Mix 3 packages of Knorr's (dry) Pesto Mix, 1/3 cup of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to make a wet rub. You can add fresh cut parsley and basil if so inclined. Smear this all over the roast, wrap in plastic and keep in the 'fridge for a couple of hours. I smoke mine just as you have described, with a v-rack, indirect heat, Jack Daniels Chips (or your preference), internal tmep at 325 - 350 degrees. Using a Polder to monitor temp, a nice med/rare in about 3 hours. I usually pull it at 135 - 140 wrap in aluminum foil to rest then enjoy. VERY, VERY GOOD.

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    One suggestion I have is to go easy on the smoke. The last one I did (a pretty small one) I used oak. The smoke flavor was almost overpowering. A lot of that one ended up going into chili. At least it was on sale that time.
  • JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried the reverse sear method suggested by Alton Brown? He proposes cooking at 200 degrees until the desired internal temp is reached and then searing at 500 degrees to crust the beast.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Skip,
    I just did 3 rib bone in 6#`r and made a documentary with photos on my website if it`s any help to you. It came out very good and was done on a small egg. Look in the cooks & recipes link.[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • ColaCooker
    Options
    Skip,
    This is one of our favorite cuts of meat and we cook it often. My favorite way to cook it is to let it sit at room temperature for an hour, cover it with your favorite rub and cook at around 220. We like Dizzy Pig's Cowlick rub but sometimes we just use salt, pepper and garlic powder. We pull the meat at 120 and let it rest while we get the Egg up to around 450 or so. We put the roast back on for about 10 minutes to get the outside sizzling and crusty. Let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes after you remove it from the Egg. The whole cook is done indirect. I've got one in the fridge right now waiting to be cooked this weekend. This roast alone is a good enough reason to own a ceramic cooker.[p]Tony

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    ColaCooker,
    Wow! Glad to hear this method works well. Was watching "Good Eats" this week, and Alton Brown roasted a rib roast in a terra cotta pot and saucer using this method of slow cooking first and then browning at 500 degrees. I thought this would work well on the Egg! I'm going to give it a try too!