Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No sell by date on my butts

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got 2 shoulders (butt) from Rest Depot almost 2 weeks ago on 9/3/09. They look ok in the package. I have no smelled them yet. I was wondering should I bother or just toss them? There is no date on the package. Any advice would be awesome.
Thanks
tim

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Options
    That's a hard one. Without a date how could you be certain? Most people might would say chunk em. If it was me I would open them up and smell them. If they have a bad odor I would toss em. If not I would cook em. Good luck!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    There are a lot of variables going on, temp being the big one. I would open it, rinse and pat dry and let air out for a short while and then give it the smell test. I've never been to a restaurant depot and don't know why there is not some kind of date on the package.

Meat if packaged right will last for quite awhile in cryovac bags. (If that is what you have)

Good Luck,

Bordello
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Did you freeze them when you got home or did you put them in the frig? Makes a big difference as tot he outcome. :unsure:
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Put them in the fridge in the cyrovac bag. 2 butts, 1 package. Im going to open them and rinse and give a wiff. No biggie
  • Buckethead
    Options
    Tim
    Got no idea of how much date was remaining when you purchased. As Bordello stated let them air our after opening. Gas used when they are packaged will almost always give you an unfavorable odor. If there is any question after sitting out for 10 minutes pitch'm. Not worth the time cooking bad meat.
    Doug
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03100.jpg

I've never been to a RD, but when butts arrive from the packing houses in the cryo wrap, usually only the box has the "pack date" on it. Once the meat is broken down, it gets a label for the consumer.

Here is the kicker. If it's really fresh meat, it may keep a couple of weeks (or longer) in their walk-in, but even if it's sold the very next day, the information on the label will reflect a shorter "use by date". Why? Because your home fridge is not as cold as the walk in.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Let me start this reply by saying I have a cold right now and cannot smell much.

I opened her up, seemed ok. Took part of 1 butt out of the plastic and the stench hit me. It smelled like a dumpster behind butcher. I threw it in a ziplock bag and tossed it in the dumpster.

Im still puzzled as to why they don't have dates on their meat. The packer brisket I did last week didn't have a date either. That smelled fine, but if you never read a post from me again, contact Rest Depot and get my widow some cash!

Thanks for all of the help
    tim
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I'm going to assume they are cryo-vacced. If you open then up, you will know for sure. You might get a faint sell, okay. Strong, toss. But usually, the store and the packer has "use by dates". Curious as to what brand?

Mike
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I can't remember. But like I said all the large meat items I bought from Rest Depot doesn't have a sell by date. Should I talk to them about it? I mean thats weird you know. It smelled horrible. The rats can eat it, lol
    tim
  • BBQEd
    BBQEd Posts: 63
    Options
    TheDirtyBurger wrote:
    I can't remember. But like I said all the large meat items I bought from Rest Depot doesn't have a sell by date. Should I talk to them about it? I mean thats weird you know. It smelled horrible. The rats can eat it, lol
    tim

Restaurant Depot never puts a date on any of their meat and it kind of sucks.

Lately I haven't been having any luck with their meats. I just trashed two butts yesterday, had them in the fridge for 5 days and they were definitely spoiled. Did Ribs from them a couple of weeks ago and they smelled heavily of sulfur when opened the smell diminished but I don't think it ever completely went away. I was so bothered by it I swear I tasted it when we ate the ribs. We also threw away the last salmon fillets we purchased from them because they were incredibly fishy tasting and smelling.

On the up side we got a 1/4 wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano from them that is out of this world. I'm thinking it's going to be a while before I do any of their meats again. If only there is somewhere decent to buy whole bone in butts.
  • BBQEd
    BBQEd Posts: 63
    Options
    TheDirtyBurger wrote:
    tim

Restaurant Depot never puts a date on any of their meat and it kind of sucks.

Lately I haven't been having any luck with their meats. I just trashed two butts yesterday, had them in the fridge for 5 days and they were definitely spoiled. Did Ribs from them a couple of weeks ago and they smelled heavily of sulfur when opened the smell diminished but I don't think it ever completely went away. I was so bothered by it I swear I tasted it when we ate the ribs. We also threw away the last salmon fillets we purchased from them because they were incredibly fishy tasting and smelling.

On the up side we got a 1/4 wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano from them that is out of this world. I'm thinking it's going to be a while before I do any of their meats again. If only there is somewhere decent to buy whole bone in butts.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I'd be calling the Health Dept.

Mike