Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold front moving in.....time for chili!!

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have a cold front moving in, they say it's going to get down to 70*!!!
I'm looking for a good chili recipe? Any takers?
Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Wardster,
    for tomato based chili, i do the following[p]coat some tenderloin tips and italian sausage with chili powder and DP cowlick, grill them till done along with a couple of halved jalapenos. . .[p]in a pot, mix in 2 large cans of chopped tomatoes and one can of tomato paste, one chopped onion, one or two chopped yellow or red peppers. . .cut up the grilled meat and sausage and jalapenos and add to the pot. . .2 cans of red beans. . .then add chili powder to taste. . ..cook direct in the egg at around 350 dome temp for 3 hours. . .add wood if you want a more smokey taste. . .serve with grated chedder or montery jack cheese. . .[p]add as much chili powder/other peppers to taste. . ..[p]for easy beer chili. . .[p]take a couple of pounds of hamburger, chopped onion, chopped up jalapeno, chopped red/yellow pepper, chili powder, DP cowlick (or other spices/pepper to your taste) put it in a skillet/pot on high heat till meat is broken up very small and everything is nicely browned. . .add 1 to 2 cans of beer, let cook down. . .add red beans. . .easy and yummy. . .

• Wardster,
    Ok, this will be the easiest one you'll find: just take any ole standard recipe and be sure to add a can (or as much of the peppers as you can stand) of Chipotle's in Adobo sauce. This stuff is what I call the essence of chili or chili in raw form , or chili condensed... anyway you get the idea. also see my post today on how to make it from scratch.

[ul][li]Picture of a can of Chipotles[/ul]
  • BillyV
    BillyV Posts: 16
    Wardster,
    This past weekend I made KennyG's Eggfest Chili. It was excellent. So, here it is.
    BillyV in SoCal[p]1 large dried chili pepper - pasilla (wimpy) Chipotle (hotter) pequin
    (hotter yet) Scotch bonnet or Habenero (five alarm)
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    Wood chunks - I used hickory, mesquite and pecan in ATL
    Preparation:
    Preheat your Egg to 275-300°
    Open tomato and bean cans and dump into appropriately sized "chili pot",
    deep Corningware casserole dish, metal stockpot, cast iron Dutch oven, etc.
    Fry bacon extra crisp in a non stick skillet and remove and crumble into chili pot.
    Use bacon drippings to brown ground meat or sausage seasoning with salt and
    pepper as you go. Halfway through the browning process, add onions and
    garlic, drain grease and dump contents into chili pot. Float your dried
    chili(s) on top.
    Add in all remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to incorporate well.
    Cook on the Egg with smoking chunks, placing chilipot on a pizza stone or
    other "thermal barrier". This allows the chili to heat slowly and pick up more smoke flavor. Stir and taste every 20 minutes or so.
    Remove the
    dried pepper when you have the heat you might be looking for. Monitor the
    chili temp with an instant read thermo or Polder. At about 140° internal and 1.5 to 2 hours, remove the thermal barrier. With the
    pot directly over the heat now, it should come up to almost a boil in about 30 more minutes.
    Serve with thinly sliced green onions and grated cheddar cheese on top.
    It will taste even better the next day, of course.
    Have fun and enjoy,
    KennyG

• Wardster,[p]My brother-in-law won 1st place with this recipe. He substituted beef for Boston Butt he smoked with a few chunks of hickory. He chopped the meat so the pieces were about an inch in size.[p]He didn't really use dark beer - he used a wheat beer from a local brewery here in Kansas City, home of the undefeated Kansas City Chiefs (insert SI cover jinx here).

[ul][li]all.recipes.com chili recipe[/ul]
  • Wardster,[p]70° - wouldn't that be a warm front? [p]MM
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    MapMan,
    Not in Tampa!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster,[p]Forecast is for 63 tonight in South Florida, now for us, that's really cold! Chili or Brunswick Stew, haven't decided.[p]
  • Wardster,[p]We're going down to low 20's tonight. 70° is b a l m y.[p]MM
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Billy...[p]We woke up to 36° here in Alachua, FL...and chili sounds like just the thing for today. Mr. Hyde picked up everything at the groc store last night, and by the time I get home today, a big dutch oven full of chili should be cooking away![p]Mmmmmm! Can't wait...!
    Tonia
    :~)