Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help please - Lamb question(s)

Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going to slow roast a lamb shoulder until it was fall apart tender, but I couldn't find one. What we got instead is a boneless leg. I usually cook leg med-rare and slice. My question is as its a pretty lean meat, if I cook it low and slow, will it get pull-able or will it dry out first? Also as some guests don't like lamb I'll also cook a bone in breast at the same temperature, should it still be pulled at 160? Any guesses to the relative times?

Thanks

Doug

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I usually cook my lamb legs, boneless or stuffed at 350 until about 140. If you are going to try low/slo some bacon on top will help the moisture problem. Not sure if it will pull.
  • Wrong cut to do as a low andd slow, do it at 350 -400. That way you can cook your chicken along with it.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    They're right - not lo-n-slo for this cut. Grilling this cut, Greek style, is always a hit. Open up the wrapped leg and butterfly it so that it is as even in thickness as possible (it will remain uneven, but you can get close). Place slivers of garlic in many slits made with a sharp knife then salt and pepper and marinate it in 2 parts olive oil, 1 part lemon juice, and a lot of ground oregano for 1 - 2 days. Have the grill hot; use a raised grip and sear it: 5-6 minutes on each side. Turn down the heat to 300-350 and finish it until internal temp is about 125. Let it sit awhile and then slice thin. Eat as is or stuff in pita pockets with tzitziki sauce. While it is roasting at 350, you can put on your chicken. The lamb will finish 40 minutes sooner, but while it is resting, the chicken will be done. Have fun.
  • Marvin
    They're right - not lo-n-slo for this cut. Grilling this cut, Greek style, is always a hit. Open up the wrapped leg and butterfly it so that it is as even in thickness as possible (it will remain uneven, but you can get close). Place slivers of garlic in many slits made with a sharp knife then salt and pepper and marinate it in 2 parts olive oil, 1 part lemon juice, and a lot of ground oregano for 1 - 2 days. Have the grill hot; use a raised grip and sear it: 5-6 minutes on each side. Turn down the heat to 300-350 and finish it until internal temp is about 125. Let it sit awhile and then slice thin. Eat as is or stuff in pita pockets with tzitziki sauce. While it is roasting at 350, you can put on your chicken. The lamb will finish 40 minutes sooner, but while it is resting, the chicken will be done. Have fun.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Dang Marvin! If my physician could cook like that they wouldn't have to drag me into see him kicking and screaming! Do you ever cook for your patients? I may relocate. :woohoo: :lol:;)

Gator
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Doug,,,Little chef did a boneless leg at the mini fest and it was great. I didn't see the times or temps but I sure helped with the eating part. :woohoo: Maybe she will chime in.
  • Marvin
    Thanks for the kind words. When they bring me venison or some other stuff that I don't have very often, I've been known to share. Once someone brought me a snow goose. I cooked it and returned it (didn't like the taste); but still - a grateful patient.