Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bologna

Options
Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to do a whole roll of bologna on the egg. I am going to put a hole through the middle and fill with bbq sauce. What temp and how long should i let it cook. I was thinking about 3-350 degrees for about 4 hours.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That sounds about right, maybe a little shorter on time. I did a chub of bologna that way at last year's Waldorf Eggfest. It's an interesting change of pace.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,[p]
    That was some real good stuff too Jim. I'll never forget the look on my wifes face when I told her I wanted to smoke the bologna. What was that teriyaki sauce you drizzled on that ?[p]Lord Beasely

• JSlot
    Options
    That was Yoshida's Teriyaki, Stump. You should be able to find at Sam's, if'n you gots one of those up where circus folk live.[p]Jim
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Orio Kid,[p]You darn near cant overcook that stuff. In fact I like mine done a bit more than the 3 or 4 hours. Its a real interesting change of pace. Try getting some of the garlic bologna or other "gourmet" bologna, if there actually is such a thing. I did some of the garlic bologna over the 4th of July this year and it disappeared as soon as it hit the plate.[p]Troy
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Orio Kid,
    I'm guessing that is indirect at 300-350? How is the smoke penetration on bologna? I don't care for the 'Q sause, but I would like to try smoking some.

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    "I'll never forget the look on my wifes face when I told her I wanted to smoke the bologna."[p]Maybe she didn't think you were talking about cooking. :) (sorry, I just couldn't resist).[p]I don't remember trying smoked bologna at the EggFest. I must have missed out on it.
  • JSlot
    Options
    It was there! I used the garlic bologna. Pretty darn tasty stuff. I did about a 3 lb. piece.[p]Jim
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Orio Kid,[p]I think that's too hot. You really can't undercook it and it's hard to overcook it but 4 hours at 350 might just do it.[p]I did one in Lynchburg for about 4 hours but below 300.[p]What's the point of the BBQ sauce? I just put a little Tony's on mine.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]It was the first thing that Jim pulled off the cooker that morning....and was VERY good![p]Here's a pic in my Eggfest 2003 pictoral...[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Eggfest 2003 Pics[/ul]
  • BluesnBBQ,[p]"Maybe she didn't think you were talking about cooking"[p]That was my point exactly :)[p]Stump..uh..er..um..Lord Beasley
  • Orio Kid,[p]"Stogie" or Kevin Taylor has a webpage on the process you are considering and I will include the address. [p]Old Dave

[ul][li]Stogies Bologna[/ul]
  • Orio Kid,
    You can basically smoke it as long as you want.. Get it as smokey as you want.. 4 hours is plenty of smoke for me..
    And again like everyone has said not that high,.. [p]When you cook it higher the outside tends to want to seperate from the rest of the chunk, as it cools..[p]Also nothing is better than slicing a 1/4 inch slice and frying it in butter for a sandwich, and if you poke holes in its not as nice a slice..[p]I just did a 4 pound chunk and next up... Mortadella..[p]
    Dylan