Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking?

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
flank.jpg
<p />Here is what I made last night (Flank steak marinated in soy sauce, ginger, honey and shallots. Seared for about a minute and a half per side, dwelled at about 400 degrees and sliced thin. Served over a bed of basmati rice)! We didn't have any rice in the house (that's strange), so I used Couscous. I like couscous, but need to do something to add flavor (but it has great texture). [p]Smokey

Comments

• Coleslaw
    Options
    Smokey,
    Basmatti is all I use at my house, we pick it up in the five pound bag. The flanks look good, the last time I did flank steak it was for jerky.

• Smokey
    Options
    coleslaw,[p]We usually have some in the house. Must have used it up (back to costco)! The Couscous was good, like the small grain and texture, but needed more flavor. Last time I did jerkey I used round (I think bottom). The butcher sliced it for me!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokey,
    last time i tried the sear/dwell with a marinated flank steak it came out kind of mushy, so i usually just do a direct cook at around 500 degrees until done. . .[p]have you experienced this problem doing the sear/dwell?[p]btw. . .the marinade sounds good, i'll have to give it a try. ..

• Smokey
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I know what you mean. Flank steak can be mushy. I may have to try that!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokey,
    oh good, then its not just me. . .btw. . .i've found that with almost any marinade i use for flank steak, a shot of booze (it can be anything from bourbon to vodka to tequila to scotch) thrown in with the marinade adds a neat and not overwhelming touch. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokey,
    geez, im stupid today. ..i failed to mention that one way to add flavor to couscus is instead of water, use canned chicken broth or beef broth, . . . also, throw in a little onion. . .basically, anything you would do to spark up rice you can do with couscus. ..