Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recomendation for Leg Of Lamb Indrect cooking

Options
Xeveniah Darkwind
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a fan of the leg of lamb bone in... the question is any recomendations for a large egg with plate setter and a cast iron grate. Ide love to hear back from you guys. as I have actually lived off the egg for an ultra low carb diet to shock my metabolisim.

Thanks,
Xeveniah Darkwind
Acworth GA

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi XD,

Welcome to the forum. I have never done a bone in Leg of Lamb on the egg but that wouldn't change much. I would trim off excess fat if it needs it (leave some for juices and flavor) and season the leg with sea salt, black pepper, thyme and/or rosemary or Herbs de Provence if you happen to have any. I would also either sprinkle with garlic powder (not the super fine white powdery stuff) or I would stud it with fresh garlic by cutting small slits all over and stuffing them with slivers of fresh garlic.
    I would have my egg set up with the plate setter legs up with a drip pan between the legs and grate on top. You can cover the plate setter and drip pan with foil if you want an easy clean up. If you want the drippings for gravy, I would place enough red wine/water in the drip pan so they do not burn.
    I would heat the egg to 350º and roast the lamb until it reaches an internal temperature of about 120º for medium rare, as you would beef, and cover it with foil. The internal temperature is going to continue to go up for about another five degrees. I would rather pull it to soon then to late. I can always put it back on the heat if it needs it where if I over cook it I have to eat it.
    here are a couple photos of a boneless leg I did earlier this year.
    LambA.jpg
    LambB.jpg
    I had stuffed it with a stuffing made of roasted garlic, caramelized onions and mushrooms, sourdough bread and herbs and spices. I got it a little over done for my taste. It was a labor of love, the next one is going to be down and dirty and I will follow the kiss principal (Keep It Simple Stupid) like above.

Good luck, look in the recipe section here in the forum, there are more recipes. Compare a number of recipes and follow the crowd and you should do fine.

I am on a low carb diet for diabetes and the egg has kept me off insulin for the past year. My problem now is that I quit smoking about 4 months ago and have put on weight. Man! it's always something.

Have a great day,

Gator
  • Xeveniah Darkwind
    Options
    Gator Bait,

I appericate the advice. The main reason I am keeping the bone in is Flavor and the collagen that is released from the connective tissue around the bone meat. I intend to catch the juices as more of an asju(not sure the exeact spelling) for the meat and baked potatos cooked with it.

I also intend on cooking it between medium and medium well, due to having to supress my immune system for crohn's disease.

Im a realtivly new egg owner bought one around fathers day due to the grill crapping out. in all $1,200 after taxes its the best money ive spent in a long long time...

Xeveniah Darkwind
    Acworth GA
  • Xeveniah Darkwind
    Options
    Gator, I forgot to ask, Do you recomend searing it first?

For me, I have Crohn's, Addison's, Rheumatoid in all joints, and heart failure.

But agin is the question that should I sear it first?

Xeveniah Darkwind,
    Acworth Georgia
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Again, Welcome to the forum. It's pretty quiet around here this time of night.

I don't blame you for keeping the bone in, stuffing is the only reason I would have one boneless and I don't want to do that every time.. For the doneness (if there is such a word) I would treat it very much like beef. I do lamb loin chops on the egg and cook them just like a steak of the same thickness but on a raised grate. The same internal temperature as beef and they come out the same.

Aren't you glad the old grill died? LOL, I was given me my medium egg for Christmas last year by my sister and BIL who took pity on my cooking. God bless them.

Glad you found the forum, theres no better place to be if you have or plan on getting an egg.

I'm out of here, time for me to crash, the sun will have me up all to soon. The day shift should be along before to long and will have more input for your leg of lamb.

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

I would not bother, some might. It may come down to personal preference like a steak. Many sear steaks, I happen to have had better luck not searing steaks.

You make some of my joints feel down right good! I have defects in all the joints in my legs that have slowed me down all my life. I have worn hearing aids most of my life. Had three major heart attacks at the age of 45 that were caused by undiagnosed diabetes which in turn has given me neuropathy and premature cataracts that had me more then half blind before I could get them taken care of. Hahahahahaha, other then that life is great, I wouldn't want to miss a second of it.

Till later,

Gator
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Gator,

Glad to hear about your diabetes being under control. I tested as pre-diabetic a year ago - got the egg in Dec and my blood work (tests) has impoved significantly. Got to believe the egg had something to do with that also. I also need to kick the butts - I'm with ya in spirit.
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    Options
    Welcome. Here's some pics of one I did this past Spring:
    LambandCrawfish007.jpg
    LambandCrawfish013.jpg
    LambandCrawfish011.jpg
    I recall this taking around 2 hours, at 300, indirect.
    LambandCrawfish015.jpg
    LambandCrawfish018.jpg
    LambandCrawfish019.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nice Name.

Bone-in LoL is a FANTASTIC Cook! there is NO COMPARISON to boneless!
    I got this after Easter and the price was marked down to less than $1.99/lb.
    IMG_0715.jpg
    cooked at 350 - 400, 20 min/lb. grapevine and lilac smoke. EVOO, Raisin the Steaks and stuffed cloves of garlic into the meat. put a few sprigs of rosemary on it, could've put more but I didn't know what I was doing. As you can see, I roasted red potatoes in the drip pan below. They were fine, nothing special but good. I would do it again but add rosemary to the potatoes too.
    IMG_0716.jpg
    The after pictures aren't so great-I was in a hurry!

Pulled off at 132-137 2.1/2 hrs total
    This was absolutely fantastic!
  • Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    Options
    The after pics look great to me. I could pick that up and eat it like a turkey leg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that looks great, bob.

i concur with everything you said...
    i have added lilac to the grape vine, too. geee, i hope it's non-toxic
    hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    If you look in the "Cookbook" section at the top of the page, you will find the recipe I submitted "New Zealand Leg of Lamb". I have cooked this several times for large groups and it comes out fantastic every time. I have only done boneless, but a bone-in should work the same way.

Good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    that looks great, bob.

i concur with everything you said...

Thank you. YOU are probably the one who told ME how to cook it!

been awhile since that cook and I tend to forget so I just take credit for everything :laugh:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Bill,

Thank God they tested you before it was to late! I hadn't seen a Dr. in probably over twenty years and diabetes had never been known in our family. I found out the hard way. My egg is keeping me off insulin. I eat a high protein diet, mostly steak off the egg. Lately I have been treating myself to rib eyes and strip steaks from Sam's Club and picked up a cast iron grid for the egg. It's my favorite way to fight high blood sugars. Keep an eye on yours and you will save yourself more trouble then you will ever know.

Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I have ever done. The support from this forum has been fantastic and now it has been 15 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours, 42 minutes and 12, 13, 14, . . .15 seconds! I still crave them but it gets easier with time. The taxes went up sky high and decided I couldn't afford them any more, now I spend all my money on steaks. :laugh:

Have a great day,

Gator

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Bob,

That looks amazing. If you ever get the chance, try Steven Raichlen's olive wood with lamb.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    olive wood?
    hmm..thanks, I'll look for it!