Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving practice

Options
Mully
Mully Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey All!
I am going to brine a 12lb turkey this W/E to practice for a thanksgiving day bird.The pressure is on!! I have never smoked a turkey and was wondering what kind of pot to Brine the bird in.
Mully

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Mully,[p]A big one! Really, you should try to cover it completely!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mully,
    Can you go to a hardware store and buy a brand new 5 gallon bucket? Ace Hardware sells them.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mully
    Mully Posts: 30
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Yes I could then what??
    Mully[p]

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Mully,[p]Double trash bags work for me. One bag inside the other. Turkey into inner bag. Tie it up good. Put into cooler and surround with ice. Keeps the fridge empty, too![p]HTH,
    Rich G.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Mully,
    I did one about a month ago...12.8#. Turned out good.[p]I brined it only for a couple of hours. Overnight would certainly be better. I use a lot of spices and herbs (with the salt and sugar) when I brine. I have a large stainless pot that I use. [p]I Stuffed the cavity with 1/2 a lemon, an apple, a couple of garlic cloves, and some onion. The outside was rubbed with hot seasoned olive oil, garlic pepper, and Lawrey salt.[p]I cooked it indirect over a drip pan, inverted platesetter & pizza stone. I filled the drip pan with the "junk" chopped turkey parts, water, onion, garlic, apple, herbs, bay leaves. The drippings/drip pan goodies could be used for gravy. Minimal smoke, as I have a couple of whiners in the household.[p]I preheated the egg to 425, and started at the higher temp for about 20 minutes. (I find it helps brown the skin) I allowed the temp to drop to 350-325 over the next 1/2 hour, and then dropped it to 275 after about 1.5 hrs. I maintained 250-275 until the last hr, and I bumped it back up to 325 to "hurry" the process. Total time on the grill was just under 4 hours, I pulled it at 165 measured with a probe in the breast.[p]My notes say "really good, very moist, but could've gone a little longer." So, next time for that sized bird and setup, I'd probably allow another 1/2 hour for cooking. And then there's that "set" time.[p]
    Mike in MN