Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!!! brisket and butt

Options
Coach Danny
Coach Danny Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks, I need some advice and guidance from anybody out there that has cooked a brisket and a pork butt together. I'm having a pool party this weekend and am planning to cook a full packer (13.25 lbs) and a pork butt or two (total of 16.5 lbs) on my XL BGE.

Any suggestions on how to do it? What kind of wood should I use for flavor? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DannyG

Comments

• satkinson
    satkinson Posts: 36
    Options
    Never done both together, but as for chips, I'd go with pecan or hickory.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Cook the brisket on the lower grid, butts on top. wood choice is up to you, but hickory, oak or a fruit wood would be fine.

If you work it just right, the butts would probably go on first and the brisket a bit later (based on size). It should be failry easy to get them to finish close together. Foil them and place in a cooler to rest until ready to pull/slice and eat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if they fit on one rack thats what i would do, on my large i would need a second level. i would go with oak, cherry, and a hint of mesquite, but thats just me. two hunks of cherry and one hunk of hickory is a standby. 250 degrees indirect. do you have the brisket to see how much room you will have for the butts on one rack. i would definatly read elderwards pulled pork writeup if this is your first low and slow, follow the directions but use a dome temp of 250
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    Danny;

You are going to be SOME GREAT Egger!!!!
    A brisket, and a couple of butts at the same time right off the mark with a new Egg!!!
    I was so nervous the first time I did a butt, I wore out the gasket lifting, checking, lifting, checking....

Be sure to take some pictures, before, during, and after Egging all this meat!! As they say, just let the Egg do its thing and you will do good....

I'll let the "pro's" here tell you the in's and out's about your cook. I am still trying to get a pizza to come out OK.

Good luck, and have a great Pool Party!
    BOB
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    All he needs is rub, charcoal, wood and 250-275*

Pull at 195. It is EASY.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    shhhhh, dont tell him its easy :laugh: its a good read though, was my first cook on an egg. just make sure to get up and check on things and dont chase temps once things are stable.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    A stable egg and well seasoned meat will turn out just fine.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have done both.I like to place the butts over the brisket when doing a two level cook.Other than that just cook em til they're done.ALWAYS go by temp and NOT time. ;)
  • Coach Danny
    Options
    So in the past wehn you have done both together, do you calculate the cook time (based on weight) and put them in at different times so they will finish together or put them in at different times and take them out when each of them is done based on internal temperature?
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Cook to temp, Danny. I pull at 200 and others pull at 195. Get a remote thermometer and keep the lid closed. Good luck.
  • Coach Danny
    Options
    I notice a lot of times on the full packer briskets that often one side is much fatter than the other. Do you ever cut your briskets in half and cook them that way, taking the thinner piece off first?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I allow 2 hrs per pound as a reference.The individual weight of your butts is what you would use against the total weight of your brisket,ie.,2 butts-8 lbs. each=16 hrs,1 brisket-13 lbs.=26 hrs.Thats just a general timing window.Each piece of meat has it's own personality and some cook faster.I don't think they will take that long but it gives you a cushion if you run into some unforseen problem.Cook til the I.T. is right.If they do get ready early you can wrap in HDAF and place in a good cooler for 3-4 hours.Better to be ready a little than to have guests standin around waiting. ;):) PS-250 dome.