Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All-Clad on the Egg?

Options
hornhonk
hornhonk Posts: 3,841
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going to do beans today, but the hambone and beans would overflow my cast iron dutch oven. I have an 8 qt. A.C. copper core one, but don't want it damaged.$$$! Has anyone used All-Clad on the Egg?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    i have an expensive turkey roaster that goes on, its aluminum cored though. its not so shiney anymore :laugh: if its meant to go in an oven it should be fine but they dont clean up as easily as a castiron if that matters to you.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hornhonk
    Options
    I may give it a shot.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ive only seen one split and it was put on a big outdoor burner and went dry before over heating. just be warned, if there is someone at home that likes things shiney, it wont be real shiney when your done ;)
    fukahwee maine

• hornhonk
    Options
    Man, the thing cost nearly as much as my small egg. Think I'll do my beans on the stove! I don't want to be murdalated! Is that a word? :laugh:
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    a very wise choice.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    It is now! :laugh:
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Do them on the stove. Or if you can't stand the thought of cooking something on other than the Egg, get a cheap 8qt CI.
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Agreed. I don't think you could ever the all-clad properly clean after cooking on the egg. For what you paid for it, it's just not worth it. Cook them on the stove today and go out and get a cast iron or other cheap 8-quart dutch oven for the next time.
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    Your All Clad won't care what the heatsource is, as long as you don't let it sit empty over high heat for long, otherwise it will tweak. As for keeping it shiny(or at least making it easier to clean after being over charcoal flames)wipe the outside of it with a layer of dishwashing liquid before you put it in the egg. Then all the black will wash off fairly easily.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    birthdaydinner027.jpg

march130.jpg

march135.jpg

all clad 1/2 qt. souffle pans.. corn puddding and escalloped potaotes.. clean up perfect [yes perfect] with bar keepers friend. tougher spots dip a wine
    cork in water then in bar keepers friend and scrub with cork. champagne cork is easier to hold..
    bill
  • fishlessman
    Options
    me, i would use it in the egg, but it could be one reason im single :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    never heard of the cork trick, i just let mine build up character. :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    give the cork trick a try just for the heck of it you could put your initials in the "patina"
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    Options
    Man, get yourself a cast iron pot. It's the only way. They love to be heated up and the food cooks good. Try a dutch oven for chile or baking. A cast iron grill; there are many different variations of cast iron products. Lodge is one manufacturer, but you probably can find some used ones at garage sales, etc. that you can throw in your egg, after oiling up the old pot, then cranking up the temp to cure and clean the old crud out of it. The old cast iron pots will clean up like new, but be sure and cure the cast iron with cooking oil after you nuke them. There are many "how do's" on the internet. Have fun!!
  • hornhonk
    Options
    I'm going to get anew cast iron dutch oven I do have one, but it's too small for my bean and ham cook. I love it, only wish it was larger. I'm not going to chance a $400 pot on beans!