Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Pot Roast on the Egg

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a pot roast on the egg yesterday for the first time...turned out OUTSTANDING! Pics say it all....[p]pot-roast-sear.jpg
Here it is after being seared....[p]pot-roast-served.jpg
And here it is served up....[p]Preheated the egg with platesetter in to 325° - 350° dome. I sprinkled the 3.5 lb chuck roast heavily with salt and pepper and did the sear. Then I added about 2 cups chopped onion to the pot along with about 1-2 cups water (came about halfway up the roast). Tossed several good sized oak chunks into the cooker and put the dutch oven into the egg uncovered at around 4:30 pm. Let it cook like that for a couple of hours. Then, about 6:30, I added the vegetables to the pot (celery, carrots, potatoes) and let it go uncovered for about 1/2 hr and then covered it for 45 minutes more. Boy, it really was yummy![p]QBabe
:~)

Comments

• bigmikej
    Options
    QBabe,
    Looks delicious! What cut of beef did you use for your pot roast?

• QBabe
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]A 3.5 lb chuck roast...[p]QBabe

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    QBabe,
    That looks amazing. Next time, make slits all over and instert garlic slivers before searing. Instead of adding water, add red wine (or a combo of water and wine) and a couple of bay leaves. Over the top!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    QBabe,[p]When doing a pot roast like this, how do you know when it's "done"? Do you just cook it for a long time or did you go by internal temperature?[p]Thanks,[p]TRex
  • QBabe
    Options
    TRex,[p]I cook it until it pulls apart with a fork, usually a couple of hours. If I'd been thinking, I should have taken a thermapen reading so I could see how it compares, but I never even gave it a thought. I've always done them in the dutch oven on the stove and decided it'd be perfect for the egg...[p]Wish I could give you more, but this is actually one of those recipes that I don't have written down, but just throw it together...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Wow, sounds like a great modification to do! I'll have to make sure I try the garlic/wine/bay leaf next go around...[p]Thanks,
    Tonia

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    QBabe,
    I have done chili and baked beans (separately) in the dutch oven on the egg in hopes that the smoke would add to the flavor. The smoke really helped to make the chili great but the beans didn't seem to absorb any of the smoke. Not sure why.[p]How about your pot roast? Did it absorb the smoke? By the way, it looks great!

• QBabe
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Yes, the roast took up the smoke very well. I've grown fond of oak wood and beef lately and it was an excellent combination. I think leaving the lid off for most of the cook helped in the smoke flavoring as well. [p]Tonia

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Were you looking over my shoulder? Last spring when it was still pretty cool I did the same cook - pot roast - same results. Awsome!
    My wife and I were talking about next weeks menu and I'm going to do braised lamb shanks. I would imagine they'll be winners too. I find that it's almost impossible to mess anything up on my Egg. (Except pizza, just haven't spent enough time playing)The lamb should pick up a nice smoke flavor because of the fat.

• QBabe
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Ya know, it's funny how the conversations around our house have migrated to "so what's on the menu for next weekend..do we need to get anything out of the freezer?" I've begun to cook LOTS of stuff on the weekend, which gives me lunches and instant dinners (thanks to the FoodSaver) for the week![p]I had a sneaking suspicion that pot roast would be pretty good, but just hadn't gotten around to trying it. There are actually very few things that just haven't turned out well...eggs are pretty incredible![p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    QBabe,
    Did you put the dutch oven directly on the plate setter
    or did you invert it and put the dutch oven on the grate
    (hope you see this soon as I am heatin up the egg as I write this.
    I have inverted my place setter and intend to put the cast iron dutch oven on the grate.
    I was concerned that the heated platesetter would crack when I put the cast iron on it due to temp differance.
    let me know how you did it.
    thanx
    Glenn